• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Crazy russian tort coming out of "brumation"

Leezard

5 Year Member
I quoted the brumation because Moby doesn't hibernate but reacts to the change in daylight. Anyone else's Russians going crazy these past few weeks? Moby has been off the walls, literally he's been scaling his cage to get my attention to take him out for free roam lol. Not to mention eating 2 big meals every day!

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I quoted the brumation because Moby doesn't hibernate but reacts to the change in daylight. Anyone else's Russians going crazy these past few weeks? Moby has been off the walls, literally he's been scaling his cage to get my attention to take him out for free roam lol. Not to mention eating 2 big meals every day!
If a male, might be out searching for a mate.

Leezard

5 Year Member
Yeah he is and he's right around that age but he hasn't fully hibernated yet so it dont think itll be breeding season for him yet :/

Leezard

5 Year Member
If a male, might be out searching for a mate.
Also I'm a little confused as to why he is reacting so much to the daylight change. He's never hibernated but he is sexually mature. I would love to mate him but saying goodbye to Moby for 3 months might be too much for me lol. Do you know if he could still breed despite not hibernating? (From what I've read no but I thought I'd ask anyways)

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Daylength is more predictable than temps, that's why daylength is the the trigger. The cold temps trigger the reproductive cycle as well as other things. It is important that they have a winter rest.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmelanc602