• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Cypress warning

reptileszz

5 Year Member
Hi all, just a warning to check over your cypress mulch before letting your tegu or any other animal loose on it. I found a very odd object in a bag from Agway today. It was a black plastic thing with 4 metal sharp prongs sticking out of it. I was like WHAT? But its not meant for animal bedding I suppose. But still dangerous even if you just used it outside. Wouldnt want a tegu or a child to step on it!

Just FYI.
Carole

Attachments

• found in cypress.JPG
    513 bytes · Views: 4

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Thanks Carole!! You are right, it is a good idea to make sure there is only mulch in the bags when adding it to your cages.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I hand sift all the bags to remove all of the big chunks. I haven't found anything but mulch in any of the bags I've gotten from Agway.

ihatehumans

5 Year Member
OUCH! looks like part of a tool used to seal the plastic bag. Maybe you shouldn't use the mulch left in the bag because their might be some small metal pieces.

All_American

5 Year Member
What is this Agway? I take it, its a store supply of some sorts. But do they sell on the net? Or do you have to buy at the store itself? Im in need of about 4 yards of cypress mulch.

Ed

Azaleah

5 Year Member
That's rather scary. I've found pieces of plastic and stuff like that in mine, but nothing like that. A tegu could swallow something like that and end up with a huge impaction problem! Glad you found it before it ended up in the cage.

BTW, has anyone else noticed that the word Tegu is underlined as incorrectly spelled on this messageboard? I think thats funny.

reptileszz

5 Year Member
Hi, I dont think it matters where you get it (for landscaping). They chop up trees willy nilly with all sorts of stuff getting mixed in. Im sure the standards for mulch are not high which makes it cheaper than the pet store stuff.

Carole

All_American

5 Year Member
Its the cedar or pone that is mixed in from lot to lot that I'm worried about. I remember everyone using it yrs back until someone pointed out that it was mixed with other woods.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoritoDan