• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Dealing with Tegu bites?

HandsomeJack

5 Year Member
Quick question, today I was attempting to coax my new tegu (Barris) out of his cage, so I put my hand down on the substrate about 6 inches away and slowly moved in, he didn't run, but in the process one of the cypress mulch pieces got flicked up and he ran over to it like it was a prey item. I kept my hand there and he came closer investigating, and when he got to my fingers he bit. It was a "I'm gonna pick it up and eat it" bite, nothing serious. I didn't flinch at all, because it seems like a reaction I should of ignored.

That's my question, what do you do when your Tegu bites? Just ignore so he doesn't feel it will get a reaction, or something else?

Thanks in advance.

Jefroka

5 Year Member
I've read that the proper thing to do is leave your hand there, exactly as you did. In fact kudos to you for doing just that, many people I would assume would instinctively pull away.

I don't know what your routine is, but before I handle mine I wash my hands with soap right before I place my hand in his tank as to remove any scent that may be on my hands.

Sorry you got bit, how did it feel?

...Jefroka

VenomVipe

5 Year Member
Mine bit me while I was feeding. I had pinky in my hands and he bit too far and got my finger. It was a little worse than an anole bite but Iwas more worried about him. I simply just left my hand there because within a second he let go. He just continued to do his thing and eat his pinky.

HandsomeJack

5 Year Member
Jefroka, it wasn't a big deal really.. I have an affinity for amazon tree boas so I know aggression all too well. :roll:

This is the latest poor interaction with an amazon, but i can't just NOT love her, right?

atb.jpg

Tegu didn't even leave a mark, and yes hands were washed and all, just seemed like a confused little guy. ;)

Jefroka

5 Year Member
Perhaps he just wanted a taste? :grno

The snake in your avatar is simply amazing, beautiful creature!

...Jefroka

MIKE-ZILLA

5 Year Member
good job not pulling your hand away.mine bit me the same way when he was hungry.he was about 2' long and it hurt a little.hand washing is very important.

Two Bananas Marinade

5 Year Member
VenomVipe said:
Mine bit me while I was feeding. I had pinky in my hands and he bit too far and got my finger. It was a little worse than an anole bite but Iwas more worried about him. I simply just left my hand there because within a second he let go. He just continued to do his thing and eat his pinky.

Venom, I just couldn't hand feed Blender. If he did accidentally get a piece of me His cholesterol would spike. lol I am to high in fat to be healthy food for a tegu.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu