• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

defecating problem

boygenius

5 Year Member
my tegu hasn't defecated in 3 weeks.

when i first got her about 3 weeks ago she defecated in the enclosure.. now she hasn't defecated since.

i have two tegus, and the one i already doesn't have bowel problems..

i feed them both on superworms, crickets, ground turkey and beef liver.

i was wondering if anybody had a solution?

thanks

angelrose

5 Year Member
Is he still eating :?: did you try a nice warm bath :?:
could it have been an accident and ate some substrate and he is impacted :?:

gebris353

5 Year Member
Yeah first try the warm bath, that's the all time solution before a trip too hehe. I also was told about giving them sunflower oil, the one you use for cooking or vaseline, of course in little amounts and you can give it mixed in a raw egg for example. Humans do it too for the same reasons. Once Juancho's instestine came out a little after I got her, so in order to not have any troubles when pooping I gave her this for two weeks.

boygenius

5 Year Member
sunflower oil eh?.. i guess i will have to try that, thanks..

yeah the tegu is still eating and i have tried the warm bath many times but still to no avail :bang

PuffDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
3 weeks is an aweful long time. Find a reputable herp vet in your area and get em checked out asap.

shiftylarry

5 Year Member
I don't feel good about the beef liver, but know a lot of people feed that stuff. I really don't feel like arguing an uphill battle right now.

DZLife

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
gebris353 said:
Yeah first try the warm bath, that's the all time solution before a trip too hehe. I also was told about giving them sunflower oil, the one you use for cooking or vaseline, of course in little amounts and you can give it mixed in a raw egg for example. Humans do it too for the same reasons. Once Juancho's instestine came out a little after I got her, so in order to not have any troubles when pooping I gave her this for two weeks.

I know personally that this works...I would reccomend it as well, if it weren't for the fact that she has gone 3 whole weeks. I think you should try to get her to a herp vet right away.
Good luck!

gebris353

5 Year Member
I agree with PuffDragon and DZLife about taking him to the vet asap, I didnt think in that it before cause we dont have reptile specialized people here, kids can tell you more about them from watching Animal Planet. But you guys that have the oportunity dont doubt about taking them to the vet. :-D

Btw SiftyLarry, didnt know the beef liver was used in these cases aswell, despite you can agree or not.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
It’s_me