1. Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email josh@tegutalk.com!
    Dismiss Notice

Diarrhea

Discussion in 'General Tegu Discussion' started by Paige, May 9, 2018.

1. Paige

Paige New Member

hi, I’m really hoping I get some reply’s about this.
    My Tegu has pooped 3 times today. Kinda out of the ordinary. He usually poops once a day every morning when he wakes up to bask.
    The first poop was normal. The second was very loose. The third was complete liquid. I thought the third was pee but he did it in him empty food dish and when I poured it in the toiled it was a light brown color and smelled horrible.
    Yesterday he ate a lot of ground turkey mixed with raw egg yolk, zucchini and some strawberry’s and today he had a mouse, black berries and grapes.
    His basking temp is a little over 100 and the other side of the cage is high 80’s.
  2. Walter1

Walter1 Moderator Staff Member 1,000+ Post Club

If you suspect illness, see a qualified vet for herps ASAP. Personally, I would look at the diet as being way to heavy on acidic fruits. Most of its diet should be comprised of whole prey, preferably mice. When young, roaches are good, too.
  3. Paige

Paige New Member

I don’t think he’s I’ll. He’s not acting out of the ordinary, he’s been just as active as normal and drinking plenty of water. I give him a mouse every other day. Should I just be giving him mice? I’ve had people tell me the fur can compact them and kill them when you feed them majority mice. Where can I buy mice for a cheap? I get them at petsmart. And all the online places want an arm and a leg to ship them.
  4. Walter1

Walter1 Moderator Staff Member 1,000+ Post Club

I use rodentpro. They sell hairless if that's a concern. Another option is a reputable vendor at a nearby herp show if possible. Kingsnke.com lists their schedules.
  5. beardeddragon111

beardeddragon111 Active Member

Mice will end in an impaction only if your caring for the tegu improperly. This isn't rare to see with people keeping monitors. Just make sure your humidity and basking temps are on point and he will be perfectly fine. 110 basking temp at least, preferably a little bit higher. Try feeding mostly mice and see how it goes. If it continues, bring a feces sample to your vet. If it turns up negative and he still isn't acting right, bring the lizard itself in to the vet.
  6. Zyn

Zyn Active Member

Yeah a large portion of Sevs diet is whole prey and he drops a duce daily lol. Also certain fruits are
    Packed with fiber which could cause the loose stoll