• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Different morph temperaments?

MongoMan73000

So this may be a stupid question but I was wonder if different morph tegus had different temperaments? Or are they like snakes where its literally just coloring?
I want to recall hearing from somewhere that "gold tegus are **** heads and your safe bet is to get a black and white" and that's what's raised my question

LizardStudent

Your confusion probably stems from the fact that gold tegus are not morphs of black and white tegus, they are different animals from different regions of the world. Gold, or Colombian tegus are tupinambus teguixin, and come from a warmer climate showing differing traits such as a tendency to not brumate as well as more aggression or flighty behavior (although some keepers report raising friendly ones, though not typically). Black and white tegus are salvator merianae and have tendency to brumate, will grow to a larger size than golds, have a slightly differing diet, etc.

Now there are lots of morphs of tegus, like S. Merianae being bred to a 'high white' line, etc, but I haven't heard of differences among the same species in personality other than most people reporting that each tegu is it's own individual and thus shows it's own personality. To my knowledge, this generally doesn't change along morph lines

Last edited:

MongoMan73000

Your confusion probably stems from the fact that gold tegus are not morphs of black and white tegus, they are different animals from different regions of the world. Gold, or Colombian tegus are tupinambus teguixin, and come from a warmer climate showing differing traits such as a tendency to not brumate as well as more aggression or flighty behavior (although some keepers report raising friendly ones, though not typically). Black and white tegus are salvator merianae and have tendency to brumate, will grow to a larger size than golds, have a slightly differing diet, etc.

Now there are lots of morphs of tegus, like S. Merianae being bred to a 'high white' line, etc, but I haven't heard of differences among the same species in personality other than most people reporting that each tegu is it's own individual and thus shows it's own personality. To my knowledge, this generally doesn't change along morph lines
I thought that may have also been the case, but wasn't sure. I watched some videos of people talking about breeding b/w, blues, and reds together and made me think they may have all been morphs.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pags1029