• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Disturbing tegus during hibernation

TeguPuppy

So, all three of mine have gone down hard for hibernation. Alice will wake up every now and then for a drink of water and ask for a bit of basking time by standing under her light, but Hatch and Princess don't really move at all.

Every 2 weeks I've been gently disturbing the substrate to check on them. They act all annoyed, come up to drink water and then go back down.

Am I harming them? I'm sure they don't appreciate it, but I worry that they will become dehydrated.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
So, all three of mine have gone down hard for hibernation. Alice will wake up every now and then for a drink of water and ask for a bit of basking time by standing under her light, but Hatch and Princess don't really move at all.

Every 2 weeks I've been gently disturbing the substrate to check on them. They act all annoyed, come up to drink water and then go back down.

Am I harming them? I'm sure they don't appreciate it, but I worry that they will become dehydrated.

Don’t worry, they’ll find the water if they need it. Mine are down, too.

TeguPuppy

Don’t worry, they’ll find the water if they need it. Mine are down, too.
Thanks, Walter. They do seem horribly irritated with me, haha. It's nerve wracking, I've bred lots of other herps but I'm going to try for my first ever tegu clutch this season...I figure I have the space, I work from home so I have the time, and no pesky spouse to tell me no anymore :)

Jorge duran

Mine's too my girl comes out every 4 days and my boy comes out every 2 days my boy walks around gets under his heat lamp and then goes back down my girl just comes out walk around and then go back down my boy eats but my girl doesn't eat since I got her but she is still fat she looks fat I just don't want to mess up her hibernation I had tegus before but only one now I got a pair of red tegus so this is my first time doing this any advice will help

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Mine's too my girl comes out every 4 days and my boy comes out every 2 days my boy walks around gets under his heat lamp and then goes back down my girl just comes out walk around and then go back down my boy eats but my girl doesn't eat since I got her but she is still fat she looks fat I just don't want to mess up her hibernation I had tegus before but only one now I got a pair of red tegus so this is my first time doing this any advice will help
Just let them be as cool as they need to- not under 58F, access to water and some warmth in other end of enclosure.

ag3nt 0rang3

last winter i slowly woke mine up once a week to eat a tad and poop, took a little to wake him up so this winter im just letting him sleep with a hot spot for him to warm up if need be. its been a few months now and i hear him once n awhile scratching but other than that i never see him. its kinda scary not knowing if he's dead or alive, so i make noise once n awhile to wake him and listen lol is that safe ?

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
last winter i slowly woke mine up once a week to eat a tad and poop, took a little to wake him up so this winter im just letting him sleep with a hot spot for him to warm up if need be. its been a few months now and i hear him once n awhile scratching but other than that i never see him. its kinda scary not knowing if he's dead or alive, so i make noise once n awhile to wake him and listen lol is that safe ?
Just reach in his hide and check that way.

Zyn

I check in on my blue this way once a week. Most days he hasn't moved but he does open an eye now and again to look at me moving his hide lol other than that he keeps sleeping.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced