• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Do Tegus generally eat less if they don't hibernate?

bombadierboom

5 Year Member
So this is my first Tegu, and first winter with him. His cage is around 82 degrees, he basks 7 hours a day in his hot spot of 120 degrees, his body is warm to the touch but he only really devours his food every 3 days, nibbles just a little the other 2. I'm just scared of his metabolism in that warmth without eating as much as he used to. He is 5 months old and not showing any sign of weight loss its just a concern.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    870.4 KB · Views: 3

chitodadon

1,000+ Post Club
He looks small for 5 months Godzilla is 5 1/2 months and almost 3ft long

from Samsung Galaxy S3

bombadierboom

5 Year Member
He eats large adult dubias six days a week, and once a week scrambled eggs and raw turkey which he loves. All his food is dusted with Reptivite. On his "nibbling" days he just kills the roaches, then leaves them. He has a full spectrum zilla bulb and two halogen heat lamps.

As far as his size goes, he's filled out since I got him, which was only a month ago. His father is nearly 60 inches long so I'm hoping its just because its winter that he is slow growing.

chitodadon

1,000+ Post Club
From my tegu he eats either whole prey or ground up meat w/bones and chicken hearts, also I heard zilla bones have a bad rep I use powersun mvb bulbs, Godzilla hasnt slowed down on eating niether

from Samsung Galaxy S3

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoritoDan