• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Do you see sick reptiles in your local pet shops?

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Do you see sick reptiles in your local pet shops? I have four pet shops here, and all but one of them have sick reptiles.

dorton

5 Year Member
I saw one one of the people from a local pet shop at a exotic show and by a bag of the fresh imported ball pythons, and the next day they were marked up from the $5 purchase price to 89.95. They had been untreated, and were full of parasites. Many did not eat and died a slow death in the unheated tank they were displayed in. But 2 miles away from that one is a shop called Maw and Paws, that is as clean as any restraunt,and all the animals are handled on a regular basis.Before a customer can hold one their hands are cleaned with wipe out. They really care!Even their feeders are hand raised, and vacuum sealed, they look like they are just sleeping unlike the other place that they look like they were put down with a baseball bat.

Maw and Paws gets my money even if I can go online and get some things cheaper. I will support the people who care and boycot those who don't.

teguboy77

5 Year Member
There was one that i called the animal control on them about 5 times,then one day i was in there i said something abd the worker there said she would mention it to the manager.So like two or three weeks went buy and the guy hired a kid just for the reptile room. :)

Mike

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Everywhere near my home has sick, imported animals in crappy cages. Every store that doesn't SPECIALIZE in reptiles has sick creatures. The best place I have found that has good reptiles is LLL. For every petco, there's 30 neglected reptiles.

Der-Boa-Lieber

5 Year Member
Hmm, the only ones around me are Petco, PetSmart, and Fins & Feathers. Finsa & Feathers i know the owner and he is a very good, informative guy so he never does but Petco and PetSmart....all the time.

COWHER

5 Year Member
the guy i bought my tegu off of has the most stressed reptiles i have ever seen he lets his crazy cat run around the shop swatting at the reptiles for hours its not a great place but its all my area has :roll:

Mike

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
That's a shame, Cowher. I try not to support places like that. Is the herp hobby less common in Massachusetts?

Good thing you care more about your animals than that guy does. :| :wink:

COWHER

5 Year Member
Mike said:
That's a shame, Cowher. I try not to support places like that. Is the herp hobby less common in Massachusetts?

Good thing you care more about your animals than that guy does. :| :wink:
I don't know anyone that has herps besides me so i guess it is a little rare in Massachusetts. thanks for seeing that i care :D :lol: :D

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I know of a couple of herp people in Connecticut (just below Massachusetts).

We've seen numerous sick reptiles at many stores. The most common are shriveled up anoles. Many anorexic Ball Pythons (we bought a nice looking skinny one a few months ago).

greentriple

5 Year Member
So two days ago I go into a new reptile store - Reptile City, it's being run by a kid who, while knowing what to say, seems so disinterested in what he's doing that the entire store looks neglected and put together without much thought. As I check out what they've got I notice VERY reasonable prices, but not very well maintained enclosures and the animals look thin and stressed. I then notice a tortoise on it's back, it fell of a platform set up in the enclosure for some unknown reason, trying to right itself. I mention it to the kid, but he seems disinterested. I finally, insist that he fix the problem and reluctantly he opens the cage flips the little guy. I left at this point.

fn. I found a sister store yesterday and it was a very different story. It as run by two women who seemed very interested in what they were doing and had a computer on hand to research any question they could not answer.

G

This is the part where Drew goes insane. Desiree (the lady) and I went around to pet stores all over Sacramento County looking for a reptile for the move-in together. Pet stores that are not specifically herp stores are a disgrace to humanity. One man was selling iguanas at the flea market. Let me tell you how screwed up some people are.

Asian Lady - my son likes those, are they hard to keep?
Bastard Salesman - not at all, they are herbivores, the only eat veggies.
AL - like lettuce?
BS - you bet. lettuce tomatoes onions pickles fruit
AL - any lights i need?
BS - yep this 60W UVB light and this 10$ 10gal tank are all you'll ever need.
AL - how big do they get?
BS - those are full grown (THEY WERE HATCHLINGS!)
AL - awesome we'll take two

Drew - Excuse me miss?
AL - yes?
D - those will get to at least 3 and a half feet long, should never be fed lettuce, have strict calcium diets, need about 100$ in lighting alone, and will eventually need a 6ft tall by 4ft wide cage. otherwise you're gonna have a dead reptile.

BS - Listen A hole, Don't (explitive here) with my business.

This scares me.

PuffDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
ApriliaRufo said:
This is the part where Drew goes insane. Desiree (the lady) and I went around to pet stores all over Sacramento County looking for a reptile for the move-in together. Pet stores that are not specifically herp stores are a disgrace to humanity. One man was selling iguanas at the flea market. Let me tell you how screwed up some people are.

AL - like lettuce?
AL - any lights i need?

Drew - Excuse me miss?
AL - yes?
D - those will get to at least 3 and a half feet long, should never be fed lettuce, have strict calcium diets, need about 100$ in lighting alone, and will eventually need a 6ft tall by 4ft wide cage. otherwise you're gonna have a dead reptile.

This scares me.
Man stuff like that makes me so mad. Tell him to come to Jersey, my Jersey boys and I like to handle things in our own way.

Mike

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
ApriliaRufo said:

AL - like lettuce?
AL - any lights i need?

Drew - Excuse me miss?
AL - yes?

This scares me.

That bothers me a great deal. Too bad it hapens every day.... :x :evil:

G

the igs were so stressed and full of parasites that desiree said we would have to buy all of them, buy like 30 rounds of Frotax (an EXCELLENT antibiotic for parasites) and give em to Leapin' Lizards (our only good store). Only problem was I couldn't afford 30 igs at 15 a piece and 30 rounds of Frotax at 15 a piece. Ugh the world is sick.

COWHER

5 Year Member
ApriliaRufo said:
the igs were so stressed and full of parasites that desiree said we would have to buy all of them, buy like 30 rounds of Frotax (an EXCELLENT antibiotic for parasites) and give em to Leapin' Lizards (our only good store). Only problem was I couldn't afford 30 igs at 15 a piece and 30 rounds of Frotax at 15 a piece. Ugh the world is sick.
We Cant save 'em all :cry:

nat

5 Year Member
99% of the pet stores I see I am not impressed with. I did however at one point work for one pet store which required that the staff read up on the species specific care sheets (which were all around ok) and if a staff member was caught selling an animal without the customer going home with the appropriate equiptment... it was grounds for immediate termination. Of course, it had more to do with the store taking every oppritunity to sell sell sell more product but it also insured that a lot of animals went home with the proper equiptment. I can't speak for the USA, but in Canada, I love the fact that our breeder community has really grown in the past couple of years because it allows us to buy direct from the breeder and cut out the pet store all together (which imo should stick to selling supplies and not pets)

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
That is awesome Nat, most of them here are far from what you have there.

BTW, I think you are one of my Myspace friends, am I correct?

nat

5 Year Member
I don't think so, because I don't have myspace! I have facebook though, are you (or anyone for that matter?) on there?

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Oh, ok, I thought I seen your pic in your avatar somewhere. I don't know where now I guess, lol.

I don't have a facebook, but we have one member here that does, Matt AKA DaremoAlpha does.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erectus