• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Doing hibernation correctly.

beardeddragon111

Basically, im wondering how I should go about hibernating. Should I leave her in her enclosure, and simply but her on a different light cycle, or move her into another, smaller container with just substrate and a water bowl?

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Basically, im wondering how I should go about hibernating. Should I leave her in her enclosure, and simply but her on a different light cycle, or move her into another, smaller container with just substrate and a water bowl?
I'd leave her in her enclosure and change her light schedule. Play by ear as she may sleep solidly or intermittentlt for 1-4 mo.

beardeddragon111

Temps are another thing that confuse me. Do they change anything a whole lot? Because I know of people who keep them at basically room temperature, than some like Bert Langerwarf, while supposedly hibernate his under snow during the winter.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
They'll sleep in the dark at 59-63 F. It will begin to slow down soon, then cut back food, drop light to 8 hrs. Once it sleeps, provide a heat lamp at far end for several hrs/day. Allow it access to a dark hide.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980