• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

dont think my red is all that well [HELP]

Jer723

5 Year Member
ok guys i just posted pics of my red a couple days ago, and im going to give you all a little background on him. first of all he has never really eaten that much, he eats 1 day, then gets bloated and stuffed, he gorges himself and then he will take a day or 2 or even 3 days off until eating again. other than that the only other 2 problems are that in the 3 months i had him, he maybe shed twice. and that he almost never comes out from his burrow, i usually have to drag him out to try and feed him. and now i think he may be sick today is the fourth day since the last time he ate and when i tried to feed him his ground turkey today ( which i have NEVER gotten him to eat ground turkey, but have tried several times ) he just licked it a few times and ignored it, and while he walks, as of now it seems hes almost in slow motion. im wondering if he is going into hibernation. but its SUMMER!!! i think his internal clock is messed up. and he WONt eat. my couple questions are how long can a gu last without eating? what do you think is wrong with him, and how much will it cost me to bring him in to the herp vet for a checkup. please help guys! he is my first red and i love him. i dont want him to die. i thought i was taking good care of him! please help me, god bless anyone who could help. thanks in advance :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :bawl

Jerry

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
What is his basking temp (surface)?? More than likely he could have parasites. Get him to a herp vet ASAP. You'll need a fresh fecal sample to be tested.

Jer723

5 Year Member
his basking temp surface is 105 everything is perfect, how much do you think the herpvet is gonna run me for?

MIKE-ZILLA

5 Year Member
Im near raleigh nc ,and its about $50 for the visit and $20 for the fecal test (at AVIAN EXOTICS) ive never had to get one treated but im sure its extra if they find parasites.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
You should be able to get a fecal test done for $15 without a visit, but it probably wouldn't hurt to have him examined. Just make sure you have a fresh sample (within 24 hours, in a zip-lock bag, refrigerated), that's very important to diagnose parasites.

AWD247

5 Year Member
Hey Jerry havent had a chance to meet you yet but youve always been a good guy, dont panic and keep doing what your doing, If you find a place near us let me know if you need anything, Im available anytime after work to give you a hand, ride to the vet, Ill even pay the fecal test but def look into an exam and how much its going to be to be safe.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
http://www.herpvetconnection.com/connect.shtml

We used to go to the South Wilton Vet, but they're very expensive and an hour away from us (more for you!). We've been taking our birds to the Kensington Bird and Animal Hospital (they also do reptiles), highly recommended by my wife (I haven't been there yet). There is one in Bristol listed. We also went to one in Bolton for an emergency, they're open 24 hours.

Jer723

5 Year Member
well, i was talking to some other people on the tegu. and the vice admin. told me that i should try to let it relax and then worst case scenario force feed him, and that i dont need to get to the vet asap. but i want to. its just i am going through a lot of serious family issues and i cant bring him to the vet sonn because i have been back and forth to nj to visit my very sick grandfather. as of right now he still isnt eating, im just really stuck between a rock and a hard place. theres alot on my mind right now, some people said i should just stop trying to feed him for a day or 2 and then try again because he might be stressed, i was going to try and feed a mouse to him today, what do you guys think? thanks alot for your support guys.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Letting it relax and then force feeding doesn't sound like a very good idea. Animals don't eat only when there's something wrong with them. With reptiles it's typically internal parasites. Getting him checked & treated would be the best idea.

I hope your grandfather gets well soon.

Jer723

5 Year Member
well my grandfather passed today, thanks for the thought though dave. i am getting him treated and tested as soon as i get the chance. im going to call the vet today and see what the charge is for a fecal sample. if i can get one. and i have quite a lot of calls to make.

Jer723

5 Year Member
ok, heres a little update, he is looking real skinny but he seems happy as can be =) i fed him some baby food, and beef liver and he ate some, he only ate a little though because you can still see the skin on his sides, i figure if i keep giving him babyfood, until say wednesday, and keep getting those nutrients into him, he will be ok to go to the vet, but as of right now all he will eat is raw egg, and baby food, and i know your not supposed to feed raw egg. but i really dont know what else i can do, for the little guy until i can take him to the vet. thanks for showing your support guys.

Jerry

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980