• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

drowning mice

MMRR - jif

5 Year Member
Just a note...freezing an animal alive is also not a humane method of euthanasia. Animals that are frozen while alive feel tremendous pain as the water in their cells expands as it freezes and ruptures the cell walls. Cervical spine separation is the method of choice if you don't want to feed live but it's all that's available and you don't have CO2.

Here is an informative website concerning methods of euthanasia.

http://www.siu.edu/~iacuc/ROD_EUTH.HTML

angelrose

5 Year Member
COWHER, this whole conversation was over on page 1 and I said

thank you to RehabRalphy for explaining it well to me :!:

it was explained and typed without any name calling and bad

language :!:

I AGREE :cheers IT'S OVER

nat

5 Year Member
MMRR - Thanks for the link! Although I am not interested in killing anything I really love looking into the medical side of thing. Very interesting!

Kazzy

5 Year Member
Drowning is awful...almost drowned several times.
Freezing is also awful. I don't know why people think it's not painful? Imagine major frostbite all over your body...then the inside of your body...not to mention no air circulation in the freezer...so you suffocate.
I've never broken a mouse's neck but I have put one in a bag and hit it HARD against a hard surface. Took one good hit, and he was dead. Quick and painless.

COWHER

5 Year Member
MMRR - jif said:
Just a note...freezing an animal alive is also not a humane method of euthanasia. Animals that are frozen while alive feel tremendous pain as the water in their cells expands as it freezes and ruptures the cell walls. Cervical spine separation is the method of choice if you don't want to feed live but it's all that's available and you don't have CO2.

I love Jane! she always comes through with the right thing to say! :app

angelrose said:

I know. this conversation started off unusually well!! I don't want you to think that I condone Drew's post in the least!! I think it was rude and could have skipped some name calling.. that being said I can see how he is mad because drowning something in scalding hot water is ... well..... its sick.. But here is why I love this Site because this can happen and we all move on from it and we all are still nice to each other and happy being part of the tegutalk family ;)

MMRR - jif

5 Year Member
awww, thanks Cowher. :) I have been dealing with sick, abused, and neglected animals for a long time so I've done my share of research on this subject and many others. Fortunately for me I've only had to euth 3 animals in 13 years, animals that were beyond rehabilitation, and it was done very humanely by my vet. I have whacked a few rodents...I'm not proficient at cervical separation so my preferred method is a fast crack against a hard surface.

We all make mistakes and I've made many over the last decade plus. The key is to learn from the mistakes so that you don't repeat them and can advise others not to make the same mistakes.

We are all entitled to our own opinions. It's beneficial to everyone to be able to voice those opinions and debate them in a civilized conversation. That is a great learning tool. I've learned a lot from people that I used to think were nuts and even changed the way I do some things to be similar to those nutty ideas. All a part of the process. :)

ApriliaRufo

5 Year Member
COWHER said:
MMRR - jif said:

I love Jane! she always comes through with the right thing to say! :app

angelrose said:

I know. this conversation started off unusually well!! I don't want you to think that I condone Drew's post in the least!! I think it was rude and could have skipped some name calling.. that being said I can see how he is mad because drowning something in scalding hot water is ... well..... its sick.. But here is why I love this Site because this can happen and we all move on from it and we all are still nice to each other and happy being part of the tegutalk family ;)

Did I name call? And as far as being short on time, yes a quick whack or a tail snap takes hours.

angelrose

5 Year Member
:ikiyo and sarcasm is so low too

pick up your pompous head long enough to see that the point was parasites :!:

ApriliaRufo

5 Year Member
angelrose said:

If you get your mouse from a breeder there are none. If you breed your own there SHOULD be none. If you found it in the backyard, then you need psychiatric care.

Dragon_girl

5 Year Member
im glad you learned your lesson or i pray to god you did.

i think it was very cruel thing to do and i could of never done it in the first place. i am too much of a chicken i coulent hit or drown any thing i rather pay more and get em already dead. i am just a chicken i imagine what if it was my pet or some thing......
i just dont know why this could happen.

PuffDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
crazyinsanity.gif

powter.jpeg

AB^

5 Year Member
ApriliaRufo said:
angelrose said:

If you get your mouse from a breeder there are none. If you breed your own there SHOULD be none. If you found it in the backyard, then you need psychiatric care.

Drew your statements are based on assumption. Any animal can carry parasites. The likely hood can be lowered but there is never any guarantee. The same assumption is made for captive bred reptiles like bearded dragons who often have pin worms, go figure.

ApriliaRufo

5 Year Member
Alright Kevin. My point is. Stop abusing animals. There's no need to cook a live mouse. Smack it and boil it, hell smack it and make it a goddamn souflee for all I care. Just don't burn and drown its keister.

PuffDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
That point was gotten awhile ago...........and I think Angel got it. Why is this topic being drawn out??????

RehabRalphy

5 Year Member
You can tell really fast from the first post that down the line, things will get out of hand. Take it from me, the person who usually starts crap in posts.

Now, don't get side tracked anymore.

Apriliarufo- I didn't see name calling, but yes, you were being a "smartbutt", which wasn't called for.

This person decided to post this topic for the dire need of informational help. This person's intention was not to get dictated by several people, but to realize what they have done was a mere mistake, thats all.

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Guys, this is not what this site is all about; it was made as a learning, fun tool. The attacks stop now, this is no way to help others learn. She found out way back in this thread that it was wrong; there is no need in the constant attacking. I do not like to see this and I will not let this bleed over the rest of the site. Help each other instead of ripping each other apart, it only causes hard feelings and will not be allowed on this site. The way we learn sometimes is by making mistakes, regardless of what they are, there are other ways of showing someone they were wrong, then to just start ripping into them.

If anyone has any questions on this, feel free to contact me VIA PM, I will clarify my feelings about this more.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam