• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

drowning mice

angelrose

5 Year Member
I forgot to put some XL mice in the freeze :roll: (he just had a frozen rat) and Bear was hungry soooooo :chin I put an XL mouse in a coffee jar and drowned it with scolding hot water. is this ok to do :?:
and does this kill possible parasites :?: :?:

AB^

5 Year Member
angelrose said:
I forgot to put some XL mice in the freeze :roll: (he just had a frozen rat) and Bear was hungry soooooo :chin I put an XL mouse in a coffee jar and drowned it with scolding hot water. is this ok to do :?:
and does this kill possible parasites :?: :?:

Well.....

I think it is NOT ok to do if Im understanding this correctly.
Drowning something is cruel IMO and drowning it in scalding hot water is even more inhumane. Also, It would NOT kill any parasites.
Just tortures the mouse :(
You would have been better off just feeding him the mouse live, or whacking it over the head for an instant death and then tossing it in the freezer. In the do it yourself section there's a great thread on how to make your own Gas Chamber to more humanley kill feeders.

RehabRalphy

5 Year Member
Eh I have killed rats by drowning, I just use my Philosophy of its the same torture it would go through being eaten alive. Drowning in room temp water does not hurt you, its just scary. Being eaten alive is scary as hell and quite painful. Drowning in scolding hot water is even worse lol.

Whack em' in the head or gas chamber, thats what I prefer.

ColdThirst

5 Year Member
drowning sounds alot better than being eaten alive, and scalding hot water sounds bad too, so I guess I agree with Ralphy

angelrose

5 Year Member
:-D thank you for setting me straight :-D
I will read the thread under do it yourself :-D
I was not trying to torture the mouse in scolding hot water :cry: . my thought was :crazy to kill any possible parasites and of course not be able to bite Bear.
I actually think they are cute and have those play wheels for them :lol: that is why I am slowly switching off to rats :shock:

PuffDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Another way to do it is by breaking their necks. It's easier than you think and kills them instantly.

angelrose

5 Year Member
ok, now you got me thinking :stthpo lol.
if the hot water cooks the mouse why wouldn't it kill possible parasites :?:
now, I am just being curious :roll:

gebris353

5 Year Member
PuffDragon said:
Another way to do it is by breaking their necks. It's easier than you think and kills them instantly.

I dont give Juancho alive food except for snails, cause the only way to kill them is to boil them as you may know. I like rodents too, I'm not just a reptile lover but an animal lover, so I give him meat from the one I buy for my own. But if I needed to, I'll use this method, just like when I go fishing, it's fast and you dont torture the rodent.

RehabRalphy

5 Year Member
Oh I'm not saying that it wont kill parasites by boiling the rodent, what I'm saying is that the animal eating this boiled prey won't gain anything since all the nutrients have basically been cooked out.

ApriliaRufo

5 Year Member
That's ghetto as f***. I'm building a 2.5gal Lexan airtight aquarium, and screwing in a punch release switch for the valve on a CO2 tank. It looks beyond professional and it cost me around 70$, but I think with a normal tub you can do it for 30 singles. Although live feeding is rough on the mouse I'm sure, drowning and burning to death are the two worst ways to go and I think you've succesfully killed a mouse with both.

nat

5 Year Member
I can't help but feel very sorry for the scalded drowned mouse. I know you meant well but you gotta have known that it was a clear case of animal cruelty :(

Mike

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Here's some solutions.

Put it on a desk, break its neck with a ruler.

Hit it against the wall.

Stun it so it doesn't bite, then feed.

Break its spine by holding its head and pulling its tail.

Put it in a bag and give it a good whack.

Get a C02 tank.

PuffDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Break its spine by holding its head and pulling its tail.
This was my method before getting frozen. Once you get the hang of it, it is really easy and effective. The ruler method I heard works fairly easy as well if you don't want the total hands on approach which I can understand.

angelrose

5 Year Member
:cen off - AprilliaRufo :!: as I said above I 'thought' it would kill possible parasites did you read I was in a hurry and had to go to work
it was a one time thing.

eddiezahra

5 Year Member
drowning is not like falling asleep. (self explanitory)
no offence but why would u even consider drowning as a method to kill the mouse let alone parasites... correct me if im wrong but freezing kills most if not all parasites.

nat

5 Year Member
I almost drowned once and it wasn't like falling asleep. It was scary, stressful, painful and full of panic. Sure its like falling asleep once you start to loose consciousness but that's 5 minutes after (or more) of a lot of fear and panic. I am not trying to jump on you or make you feel bad but I am trying to point out for future reference that it is definately not a humane way to go. Sure I might prefer it to being eaten alive... but it so easy to give em a good fast whack that drowning and / or being eaten alive doesn't ever have to be an option.

COWHER

5 Year Member
angelrose this is a very controversial way of killing and IMO I think its twisted.. So lesson learned!.... Do Not Drown Feeders! their are a million other more ethical ways of killing feeders!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980