• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Early Brumation?

Do you think the male is brumating early or could it be something else?

• Brumation

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something Else

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

TheTeguNovice

5 Year Member
Just to give some background to this question. I was housing both my female and male tegu in the same enclosure. Of course overtime they became bigger, the female began to establish dominance and would literally punk the male when it was food time. She would not allow him to eat (literally would hover over food) The male began to eat less, female began to eat more. As it got colder I saw the male less and less he started to hide in the substrate by the water dish. I figured he was starting to brumate, this was around late Nov.-Dec.

I have since created a separate enclosure for the both of them. However she comes out and basks, while he stays in his hide. I figured since he has his own space he would explore etc but he just went back to sleep. I offered a little food he didn't eat much at all. I live in california in the valley the weather has been about 50-high 60's. Enclosures about 70 on cold 100-110 basking spot humidity high 80's. Do you think the male is brumating early or could it be something else?

AlphaAlpha

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Brumation is totally dependant on each Tegu....... I believe that you could be over stressing due to having 2 doing separate things.

TheTeguNovice

5 Year Member
Ok yeah that makes since. I've definitely learned my lesson with housing a male and female. It was so interesting seeing how the female(smaller of the two) started to pack on food and outgrow the male. It's also funny that after I posted this yesterday I came home and the male was out basking. I think I just needed to give him sometime.

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
I saw my female also start to assert her youthful dominance for awhile. Once they're adults I think things balance out more. The only trouble I had was when it was breeding season in May, my male was overly brutal and I had to separate them quickly. She was too young, and he was just being his male self. After about 6 weeks, I had them back together again. They absolutely loved (she accidentally died) each other. Don't ever put them in the same bath together. I think my male pinned her, and she couldn't get free. Ugh...still getting over it.

TheTeguNovice

5 Year Member
Snap sorry to hear that,...yeah since they have their own separate enclosure the plan is to keep them that way. They will eat separately, bath separately and have there enrichment separately. The goal is to make sure I give them equal amount of attention.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980