• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

East Tennessee: looking for resources and answer

_luckylogan

Hi, I'm a homie from ET, thinking about getting a big lizard. I've got a pretty average income, and I've kept lizards for most of my life. I'm just hesitant about taking the leap. I want the animal to have a stellar life and if I can't provide that, I'd beat myself up.

So, I'm looking for advice and maybe some people in my area with experience.

Jessicak

Honestly, ive always kept lizards as well, so it hardly seemed like a jump. I had plenty of heat lamps and substrate etc. from housing other animals. Besides the initial cost, and the relatively low cost i am putting into building my Gu's new enclosure, i havent seen a financial strain. I will make note that not everyone has the same experience, vets bills can be pretty expensive, but despite my cost so far, owning such a beautiful creature makes it worth it.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
My experience is similar to Jessica's. Cheaper yet because mine are outside in central PA mid April-end of October. Then hibernate.

_luckylogan

I've been reading a bunch of care sheets and studying, but I can't seem to find substantial information on hibernation. I live in the south. So, summers are great, but how do they work in the summer?

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Very easy. In an outdoor set up, provide an area for them to bake and a cooler shaded area with access to water to soak in. In shady area provide a hide.

_luckylogan

Well, this gives me a lot of hope. All that shouldn't be too hard. I grew up raising primarily chameleons, and with how persnickety they can be, I always get hesitant when approaching a new species.

Jessicak

I think an outdoor enclosure would be really cool. I dont quite understand though? People have a bottom on those right? Or do they dig a perimeter and place the fencing down a few feet? if not, it seems like the Gu would just dig out. I also havent found anyone that makes enclosures big enough, unless you want to pay like $1100+ which seems like way to much.

_luckylogan

I don't know. The ground where I live isn't super suitable for an outdoor enclosure. When I get one, it'll probably be mostly indoor. Also, I'm about to move into a more permanent place. That's why I felt comfortable getting one, now, in the first place.

Jessicak

Same. I moved into my apartment before I got my girl and i keep her indoors all the time. RIght now it is obviously too cold for her to be outside anyway because im not letting her go into a full hibernation. I keep her inside with the temps up at what they would be in the summer, but she still tries to slow down. Because of the natural slow down, she hasnt been eating much yet, so I havent seen the full cost of how much it will be to feed her, but there are alot of ways to keep the cost down, like buying in bulk and freezing food for them. Ive had the same ground turkey in the fridge for a while now, mostly because she hasnt eaten it yet, and its still good for when she is ready to eat. Its also nice when you buy something for yourself that your gu can eat also because then it at least seems a little less expensive

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Jessica- yes, they'd dig out directly. I used 1" hardware cloth to enclose a cement portion of porch. Added a section same but bottom is also wire on shale. Ground and cement are cooler in temp than ambient.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Rodney Irwin of tegusonly from my hometown in southern Florida. Wild caught and bred from that stock. I'd put them up against any. Mine were maybe two year-old wild caught. Wouldn't trade them for nothin'. Remember, the best one is the one you want.

Jessicak

I bought mine from a local pet shop in Oregon. He was a special order so I'm not sure if he was captive bred or wild caught

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980