• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Eating problem

Katelynn

Ive had my Bilbo for Almost 6 years now and Just recently he has started the habit of only eating out of my hand.. Any suggestions on how to get him away from it.. I've tried just about everything and I've I stop doing it, he won't eat.. He went a week without eating because it was not from my hand.
He is VERY attached of me and has to be with me whenever I go somewhere, if not he will not sleep or eat. I went on vacation and left him home with my boyfriend and he want nuts trying to find me around the house. (He is free roaming)
Can anyone help?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    317.7 KB · Views: 15

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Have you tried feeding a bit by hand with the bowl of food nearby. Then maybe placing a bit near the bowl and him where the bowl isn't but 4-5" from his mouth?

Katelynn

Have you tried feeding a bit by hand with the bowl of food nearby. Then maybe placing a bit near the bowl and him where the bowl isn't but 4-5" from his mouth?

Yes I have tried, I have tried not feeding him, doing it in small amounts, leaving the room. Everything..

Justsomedude

Man it's amazing how smart these tegus are! Every day I find myself amazed by the intelligence they posses. I would try training Bilbo bagging out of it if possible. Start by hand feeding with the bowl under your hand slowly making contact with he bowl. Introduce the bowl a little bit more and more each time. It sounds like some bond you guys have built there and i would also try different types of foods including fruits and veggies etc try Anything to switch it up

DreamsOfTegus

Try picking the food items up and placing them in the bowl one by one so he sees you are providing it- then you can slowly go away from that and get him just to a bowl. You can also point and tell him to eat and see if it gets him interested.

I won't feed my guy out of hand, because of this and because he can't associate food with hands. He's an educational animal and if he starts grabbing fingers, we have problems.

He has a special bowl that only comes for feeding to avoid any of these issues. That way if I go out of town whoever cares for him can give him his usual bowl also and it won't be any different for him.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phi Long