• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Egg bound females!!

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
There are some rumors going around about egg binding in female tegus, and these are females kept alone.

I want to ease some minds here, I have never seen a female tegu that has gotten egg bound, and never seen a female produce eggs without being with a male.

angelrose

5 Year Member
:thyo for the info. I was going to ask about that now that my Angel is at least 3 yrs. so when the f/m args get older she will lay eggs ?
I had an iguana and took her to the vet down in philadelphia twice because she got egg bound. the vet operated and thought he got the ovary the first time but the following year she got egg bound again and the vet said it is hard to take the ovary completely because of a vein/artery that runs by their and has to be very careful. at the same time he was very amazed at the size of the eggs and there were 51 of them. and I was amazed at the cost both times :shock: :-D

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
angelrose said:
:thyo for the info. I was going to ask about that now that my Angel is at least 3 yrs. so when the f/m args get older she will lay eggs ?
I had an iguana and took her to the vet down in philadelphia twice because she got egg bound. the vet operated and thought he got the ovary the first time but the following year she got egg bound again and the vet said it is hard to take the ovary completely because of a vein/artery that runs by their and has to be very careful. at the same time he was very amazed at the size of the eggs and there were 51 of them. and I was amazed at the cost both times :shock: :-D

Nope, never had a tegu lay without a male. I know many species do, but never seen it in tegus.

shiftylarry

5 Year Member
I don't know about tegus, but it's a problem with other lizards. That's why I always provide my lizards with substrate, so they have plenty of nesting options just in case.

What do you think caused that evolution you are suggesting in tegus?

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
shiftylarry said:
I don't know about tegus, but it's a problem with other lizards. That's why I always provide my lizards with substrate, so they have plenty of nesting options just in case.

I think it is based on the species, tegus are just a species that is not known to become egg bound. Tegus are new world lizards as well, unlike monitors that are old world lizards. Many species found on the Americas are considered new world lizards. The only types of new world lizards that I know of that are known to get egg bound are Iguanids, this family contains the curlytails, swifts, anoles, and iguanas as well as a few others. These are found in North America to South America and on the islands of Fiji and Madagascar.

Many of the old world lizards also have problems with this, they are found on continents of Africa, Asia, and Australia. This group includes the agamids, monitors, chameleons and lacertidae.

One thing that is rather strange is, there is at least one species of Teiidae found in the western United States that needs no male to reproduce. Tegus are also a member of the Teiidae family, however they do need a male as far as we have found so far.

DZLife

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
VARNYARD said:
shiftylarry said:

I think it is based on the species, tegus are just a species that is not known to become egg bound. Tegus are new world lizards as well, unlike monitors that are old world lizards. Many species found on the Americas are considered new world lizards. The only types of new world lizards that I know of that are known to get egg bound are Iguanids, this family contains the curlytails, swifts, anoles, and iguanas as well as a few others. These are found in North America to South America and on the islands of Fiji and Madagascar.

Many of the old world lizards also have problems with this, they are found on continents of Africa, Asia, and Australia. This group includes the agamids, monitors, chameleons and lacertidae.

One thing that is rather strange is, there is at least one species of Teiidae found in the western United States that needs no male to reproduce. Tegus are also a member of the Teiidae family, however they do need a male as far as we have found so far.

Can you provide me with the name of that species? I would love to go on a little scavenger hunt to find some info on that lizard!

shiftylarry

5 Year Member
Bobby, I know this isn't tegu related, but I'd like to add that there have been several instances where female Komodo dragon and Argus Monitor females have laid fertile eggs without any contact with a male. Because lizard females have all Z chromosomes, the offspring are always male.

Cool stuff.

-Chris

DZLife

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
shiftylarry said:
Bobby, I know this isn't tegu related, but I'd like to add that there have been several instances where female Komodo dragon and Argus Monitor females have laid fertile eggs without any contact with a male. Because lizard females have all Z chromosomes, the offspring are always male.

Cool stuff.

-Chris

I believe tat I posted a link to one of these stories a while back

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
That is awesome as well!!

Well really there are at least 12 unisexual species. However, it was the Texas spotted whiptail (C. gularis) that I was refering to. These are whiptails and are members of the Teiidae family just like tegus. Some others are the desert grassland whiptail (C. uniparens), the little striped whiptail (C. inornatus), and the Laredo striped whip-tail (C. laredoensis).

Mike

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I have a striped whiptail (it appears female) that has been hibernating for a while now, I can't wait for it to wake up. There's a lot of them around here in the summer.

DZLife

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
VARNYARD said:
That is awesome as well!!

Well really there are at least 12 unisexual species. However, it was the Texas spotted whiptail (C. gularis) that I was refering to. These are whiptails and are members of the Teiidae family just like tegus. Some others are the desert grassland whiptail (C. uniparens), the little striped whiptail (C. inornatus), and the Laredo striped whip-tail (C. laredoensis).

Hey, Mike has a whiptail! It's a litttle itty bitty one though.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erectus