• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Enclosure for upcoming tegu

reptikeeper

I want to be ready when i get my tegu. I started setting up my enclosure tonight. Its 4x2x4ft (LxWxH) Im not sure what im going to do with the height. I need to get my florescent tube down lower so its effective somehow. I tested the temperature and humidity so far. Temp. in basking spot was 110+ and the temp on cool side was 82-83 around there. The humidity was 70 before misting so i havent tested it after a misting but it i will be higher then obviously. So what do you guys think is it off to a good start?

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Yeah good start. Can you post some pics? Is there a way you can hang the fluorescent light?

kellen.watkins

See if you can drop the cold side a bit more 75 is really good, basking spot kinda high but if you feed a lot of whole prey then its a good thing, for the florescent tubes you can use small chains from a hardware store (they come on a spindel) and hang the fixture from ceiling of the enclosure, and go to lowes and buy florescent tube covers (they are clear semi hard plastic) they run about 5$ just incase the worst happens and the fixture falls or the tube breaks your gu will be safe from the bulb, expect the best plan for the worst :)

Jason

5 Year Member
kellen.watkins said:
See if you can drop the cold side a bit more 75 is really good, basking spot kinda high but if you feed a lot of whole prey then its a good thing, for the florescent tubes you can use small chains from a hardware store (they come on a spindel) and hang the fixture from ceiling of the enclosure, and go to lowes and buy florescent tube covers (they are clear semi hard plastic) they run about 5$ just incase the worst happens and the fixture falls or the tube breaks your gu will be safe from the bulb, expect the best plan for the worst :)

the tube covers will filter out the UVB making them pointless. there can't be anything plastic or glass between the uv light and the reptile.

Steven.

I have the same size cage.. except mine is 4x2x2... I have a 36 inch fixture from home depo i wired up and mounted to the back upper coner of the cage. It has 1/4 hard wire around it, just incase. The only part of the cage thats not getting uvb is where his water and hid is on the cool side. What kinda bulb/wattage are you using to get those basking temps?.. MVB, basking or halogen?...

reptikeeper

Steven. said:
I have the same size cage.. except mine is 4x2x2... I have a 36 inch fixture from home depo i wired up and mounted to the back upper coner of the cage. It has 1/4 hard wire around it, just incase. The only part of the cage thats not getting uvb is where his water and hid is on the cool side. What kinda bulb/wattage are you using to get those basking temps?.. MVB, basking or halogen?...

Its either a 50 or 75 watt basking bulb by zoo med

Steven.

I see.. Im still playing with my wattage. I had a 70w halogen and my basking temp was 115. I want it to be between 105-110.. Imma try the 50w...

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
no that is a good thing, most people use stick on (analog) thermometers and they are very inaccuarate, so you are doing it right.

Deac77

5 Year Member
Steven you might try something cooler than halogen my BD's cage is 4x3x3 and his basking temp caps out at 125 on good days with a Halogen bulb and reg for heat 125/75 wattage he loves it but for lower temps id go with a reg bulb bout 75-100 wat in the cage size just a thought tho (btw im new guys lookin for ideas on a tegu cage wanna get my research done before i buy one)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoritoDan