• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Experienced owners: Stopped eating?

Lavin45

so about two a month ago miss Loki got out of her tank and had a good two week roaming adventure. Well we found her and got her back In her tank and warmed up. We fed her after she had been under heat for a while, she took a few nibbles from her favorite meal (ground bloody beef, hard boiled egg yolk, and two frozen/thawed baby mice with collard greens ripped up and hid in the mush) . She ate the mice and few bites of the rest and that was it. Now two weeks later she will not eat. I even tried a live small mouse, some where between a hopper and a small adult. Which I'm totally against doing with her because she had an attack mentality towards everything for a while. But I figured her eating is more important than all the taming progress she had made. She was a wild caught. If that says anything lol. Not what I wanted in a tegu but I don't believe in giving up animals because they're difficult to deal with at first. So yea she hasn't eaten in two weeks. She's not losing weight or acting different in any way, but she just doesn't have that full healthy look anymore and the loose skin on her legs is starting to come back.
Maybe hibernation is on her mind?
I even went out and spent 40$ on fish and shrimp and organs and crab and various meats and she turns her nose up at all of it. Her environment hasent changed, temps are same, times are same. I just don't get it.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Lavin!!! My 1.2 are WC from FL, too. They sleep over the winter. Maybe, yours is fixin to overwinter, slowdown.

Lavin45

Man I really hope not I'm gonna miss her face if she sleeps all winter Guess it's time to hit the books lol

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Man I really hope not I'm gonna miss her face if she sleeps all winter Guess it's time to hit the books lol
Ha! Maybe, or maybe partial nap. Varies among ages and individuals. Keep posted.

Lavin45

Well update she's defiantly going into hibernation ! She'll go down for about two days at a time, come up eat bask and little and then back to bed. Can't break a wild caught of all their tendencies. Gonna miss her :/

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Well update she's defiantly going into hibernation ! She'll go down for about two days at a time, come up eat bask and little and then back to bed. Can't break a wild caught of all their tendencies. Gonna miss her :/
Part of the attraction of a WC!!!!!

Cody096

My Chacoan isn't wild caught but he slowed down on eating too. He'll also stay in his hide a day or two and then come out and run around/bask. It's that time of year I suppose lol

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
My Chacoan isn't wild caught but he slowed down on eating too. He'll also stay in his hide a day or two and then come out and run around/bask. It's that time of year I suppose lol
Yes, normal.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu