• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

feeders

Gedy

I started breeding feeders for my Tegu about half a year before I got him.
Now, almost a year later I have several colonys. I have two large colonys of dubia's, a small colony of sow bugs and a lot of rose beetles ( im not sure about the grammar, but the beautifull black and yellow ones). Most of them are doing great, espacially the rose beetles.
I have them in a large tank with cocosoil and feed them fresh fruits and some times catfood. Im not always around to feed them, so i put in some sow-bugs to prevent the tank from getting stuffed with mold. I haven't fed from them a lot, because I made the tank a little to pretty and my boyfried put it in the living room to watch it. :)
The Dubia's should supply plenty, but one of my roaches collony has been not so productive lately and I can't figure out why.
For the lest two months the hardly produced any baby's.
I didn't changed the heat or dieet.
Are there some people that breed Dubia's and have some tips how I can make them breed fast again ?

JohnMatthew

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
What Reptastic said, whenever I need a population explosion I just keep a steady supply of oranges/tangerines in with my discoids.

Gedy

ah ok thanks :) i will try that. I was also wondering if there are any species that can be put together with the roaches or if they will eat the other feeders. I like making big enclosures with diffrent feeders living together.

JohnMatthew

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
If you want to maximize your feeder production I'd stay away from keeping multiple species together. The community tank sounds like a fun project in itself though. Have you considered gastropods? Much depends on your setup when trying to find a good fit.. Do you have living plants in the enclosure? If so, they'd probably strip them down pretty fast unless a more appealing food source were provided 24/7. You might also consider dermestid beetles, they eat dead flesh and will help your isopods in keeping things nice and clean.

Gedy

Gastrods would be fun ! I have real plants in this enclosure, but I don't mind at all building them a new one. I fed Spunky gastropods from my garden once, but I read they could carry all kind of parasites.He realy liked them :).
Do you know witch gastropods make good feeders ?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoritoDan