• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Feeding Frenzy??

PuffDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9WbdvzIcNI">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9WbdvzIcNI</a><!-- m -->

You tell me!!! LOL That's only some of them. Alot more were still in the egg crates.

JohnMatthew

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Nice, what is that a bunch of bananas? Thought I saw some yellow in between the black blob. My discoids go crazy for some tangerines but nothing like that.. On a more somber note, my colony are mostly adults now but no young yet and I decided to feed a big'un to one of my T's and low and behold it drops it's eggs while getting eaten :(

PuffDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
LOL bummer. If you examine them closely I think you can determine sex on the Discoids. So I've read.

They are eating fresh sliced Mango.

JohnMatthew

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Guess i'll buy some mango tomorrow and see what happens. I didn't know that about discoids they all loot the same at first glance. I'll check it out and see if I can get a female count, thanks.

jor71

5 Year Member
I found this online:

There are a few ways. One is that males have two raised "horns" on their prothorax, while females have only slight bumps (female is pictured on the top picture, male on the bottom).

Males have hairy antennae, while females' antennae are smooth. Males tend to be more elongated than females. While they are babies, however, the best way is to look at their ventral plate. The ventral plate is a plate on the underside of the end of their abdomen. In males, the ventral plate is narrower than in the females.
Male ventral plate.
Female ventral plate.

This information was found at http://www.angelfire.com/in/ghcfaq/ You can go there to see the pics.

Harveysherps

5 Year Member
JohnMatthew said:
Nice, what is that a bunch of bananas? Thought I saw some yellow in between the black blob. My discoids go crazy for some tangerines but nothing like that.. On a more somber note, my colony are mostly adults now but no young yet and I decided to feed a big'un to one of my T's and low and behold it drops it's eggs while getting eaten :(
Discoids give live birth. They retain there eggs sac until time for them to hatch. So your are getting close to having babies.

Harveysherps

5 Year Member
To sex discoids you look at the wings. The males rump will be covered. The wings on female doesn't cover the rump. The males bodies are also much smaller than the females. But the wings are the thing to look at with out touching them.

jor71

5 Year Member
Also, if the roach is talking while you are trying to watch football, it is most likely a female :p

JohnMatthew

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Thanks for all the info, good stuff. Next time I feed one off it WILL NOT be a female :-D

jor71

5 Year Member
Harveysherps said:
jor71 said:
Also, if the roach is talking while you are trying to watch football, it is most likely a female :p
Lmao I'm more of a UFC kinda guy.

Same here, I cannot see Randy beating Brock tomorrow. I am looking forward to the Stevenson/Florian fight.

Harveysherps

5 Year Member
I wished he would kill broc. I hate that big wimp. LOL I don't see it happenin either. I want to get it. But I don't know if I have the money. LOL

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980