• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

feeding inside cage

wford84

Hi, I am having problems getting my tegu to eat crickets inside his feeding bin. I have tried dusted and undusted and he isn't interested, but when put into his cage they are eaten immediately. He has no problem eating frozen mice or fruit in his bin. Any advice on what I should do?

turtlepunk

I had the same problem when my tegu was a lot younger. I just fed him inside his enclosure, (which is something a lot of members will disagree with) but I have NEVER experienced cage aggression with him because I made sure to interact with him aside from just opening his enclosure just to feed him. When you take your lil' guy out of his enclosure into a new place to eat, he doesn't recognize the surroundings, which in turn may freak him out, which might explain why he won't eat outside of his enclosure.
If you feel more comfortable feeding him outside of his enclosure, maybe try introducing him to his "feeding bin" every day until he gets used to it.
I never bothered with any of that with my tegu and he turned out just fine. I feed all of my snakes inside their enclosures as well and they don't display any cage aggression at all due to the fact i'm always interacting with them.

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I feed babies inside their enclosure, but move them to feeding outside of the enclosure as they get older. Basically, for all the reasons that turtlepunk stated.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I fed all my reptiles (snakes and lizards) inside their enclosures. Like turtlepunk said as long as you interact with them other than just for feeding you shouldn't have any aggression.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annettekirtont