• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Feeding mice type question

Zyn

It’s a part of their biology like if they want to I wouldn’t keep waking them up. Delaying it can also delay sexual maturity. But if they never go down I don’t see a problem with it either. It’s like a big reset for their system. Like a big nap their body needs to fully function.

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
Just found out all my emails (maybe 75%) are going into my spam file. So fun. So - sorry to respond late... Mich lady - I got both my black and whites from Rodney and they are awesome animals. So - your RoRo doesn't brumate much, and neither does Skully. He's just not that interested. I've reduced temps and lighting/heat, but he doesn't go down! He's lost weight - but looks good - so I give him salmon because he's a little spoiled. (I just don't know how that happened! lol) He'll eat the salmon, and maybe other meats, but not interested in mice/prey at all. He only eats maybe half of his normal diet, sometimes less.

Honestly, I'm a little worried that he's not getting the big nap that is so healthy for them....but I'm in between a rock and a hard place, trying to figure out the situation. Maybe a partial brumation is better than none? or....a partial brumation is harmful because they haven't reached that "stasis" (for lack of a better word) that's safe for them. I've tried to find info - but I'm always left short of what I need. And - the highly technical levels of information out there require a lot of study and time, only to realize you still don't have this one answer. If anyone has info about partial brumation where activity is reduced by over 50% but not a complete brumation, please let me know! Thanks

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980