• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Feeding Question

Redneck

Hey guys, Im thinking about getting an argentine tegu but i have a question, I go on vacation once a year for about a week and was wondering if i could feed the tegu more than normal before i leave and have someone checking on it but not feeding it would it be ok? Like i said it would only be for one week a year when i would do this.

Xrepex99X

im not an expert by any means but since no one else replied ill give my opinion.i think it would be fine for it to go a week without food,cause in the wild they obviously don't have a constant food supply and probably sometimes go for a while without it.but if your already having some one come and check on it why not feed it a little to?

White_Lotus

5 Year Member
if your goin on vacation all ya do is have 7 baggies or plates(plates are easier if people don't want to touch the food) i would suggest a week of turkey with a rat feeding...number them in permanet marker 1-7 and put em in the freezer with the number one plate in the fridge(don't make eggs! i've learned my tegus HATE cold eggs lol) tell them to feed according to number and to place the following number into the freezer so it will thaw out by morning but still be good. Wash, rinse, repeat until you get back ;) thats what i did for my tegu's when me and my gf went out of town. But if you absolutely must a tegu will be perfectly healthy if it doesnt eat for a week...a well fed tegu should have "emergency fat" on either side of its lower stomach and it's tail stores fat as well, plus reptiles try not to use to much energy so they don't necessarily have to eat everyday...

I'm pretty much repeating what Repex said aren't I lol?

JohnMatthew

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
It depends when you vacation. If you go during hibernation you could probably take a few months with little worries. I don't think the not eating for a week would be as problematic as the water supply getting soiled and nasty before you return.

Redneck

Thank a ton for your help guys! And i could get the person i would have watching it to change the water but i dont think they would be up to feeding it. Well thanks again! :D

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlifKat