• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Feeding response???

techhousejunkie

5 Year Member
Today I had my tegu out in my kitchen with the dog gate up for about 1 hour it seems like hes getting more and more used to me which Im happy about. But then I tried to feed him outside the tank in the kitchen( a mouse) he/she wouldnt have any part of it. Then I put him away and he took the mouse right away. My ? is, is this good so that his feeding response is tank only and that means he will be more tame outside free roaming? Any feedback will be great thank you.

redtail2426

5 Year Member
Hmm makes me think that maybe it could of been a territorial response to the mouse being in his cage or maybe hes just not use to seeing his food outside of his enclosure. When I first got my tegu he wouldnt eat to many things unless they were moving because he didnt know they were food but once I introduced him to the non moving food and he learned it was edible he ate it voluntarily.

techhousejunkie

5 Year Member
yea he/she is still only 4&1/2 months so I still have a lot of work to do as far as taming but, I would like for him to eat out of his tank.

Lexi

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I use to feed mine in the cage..and i saw then becomeing more more agrssive towards me putting my hands in there..so i started to feed in a them in a big dog kennel..and they have settled down alot..So they know when i put them in there that it is feeding time!!

Lexi

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
i just started putting them in the kennel about a month ago...but it has made such a difference in their reaction to me in their cage!