• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Feeding roaches?

Beazer

5 Year Member
I was reading a previous post about roach diet and its hard for me to really understand what a good diet is. I always read contradicting information. Seems like everybody does feed their roaches some fish flake, but I have read a lot of people strongly disagree with fish flake especially if it contains red dye (im not sure there is a fish flake that does not contain red dyed flakes.). Ive even read people strongly disagreeing with catfood and or dogfood with what seemed to be legitiment reasons. Its all very confusing, lol. I mean I know not everybody is going to agree and some people like to argue. So basically what would maybe help me out is if anybody knows the natural diet of commonly kept roaches and also what you could feed it so your herps benefit from it and the roaches still reproduce well. Kinda like, you feed a cow hormones and crap, thats pretty much what their meat will be and when we eat it, it has a bad affect on us. So if anybody has a really good healthy recipe let me know please. I think way too much, lol.

-Jon DeLong

DZLife

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Beazer said:
I was reading a previous post about roach diet and its hard for me to really understand what a good diet is. I always read contradicting information. Seems like everybody does feed their roaches some fish flake, but I have read a lot of people strongly disagree with fish flake especially if it contains red dye (im not sure there is a fish flake that does not contain red dyed flakes.). Ive even read people strongly disagreeing with catfood and or dogfood with what seemed to be legitiment reasons. Its all very confusing, lol. I mean I know not everybody is going to agree and some people like to argue. So basically what would maybe help me out is if anybody knows the natural diet of commonly kept roaches and also what you could feed it so your herps benefit from it and the roaches still reproduce well. Kinda like, you feed a cow hormones and crap, thats pretty much what their meat will be and when we eat it, it has a bad affect on us. So if anybody has a really good healthy recipe let me know please. I think way too much, lol.

-Jon DeLong

We have a large-scale roach farmer on the forum... you could pm him.

Mvskokee

5 Year Member
i fed mine high protein cat food crushed up and alot of greens and some fruit. i used water gel for their water

PuffDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Currently I am trying commercial Koi fish pellets, grounded up. Fairly inexpensive for larger quantities compared to other products and there is no Red dyes. The roaches seem to enjoy it as well.

The ingredients are as followed:
Fish Meal, Ground Corn, Dehulled Soybean Meal, Wheat Flour, Corn Gluten Meal, Fish Oil, Wheat Germ Meal, Dehydrated Alfalfa Meal, Potassium Sulfate, DL-Methionine, L-Lysine, Propionic Acid (a preservative), L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), Vitamin A Supplement, Choline Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Zinc Oxide, Ferrous Carbonate, Manganous Oxide, Menadione Dimethylpyrimidinol Bisulfite (source of vitamin K activity), Niacin, Ethoxyquin (a preservative), Calcium Pantothenate, Copper Sulfate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Cholecalciferol (source of vitamin D3), Cobalt Carbonate, Folic Acid, Calcium Iodate, Biotin, Sodium Selenite.

Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein (min) 35.0%
Crude Fat (min) 5.0%
Crude Fiber (max) 4.0%
Moisture (max) 12.0%
Ash (max) 10.0%
Phosphorus (min) 0.8%

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I use the fish flakes, chicken feed (starter grower) and dry dog food. I also use fruit as a water source, apples and oranges. It also depends on the type of roaches, I used this with the hissers and discoids.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
PuffDragon said:
Currently I am trying commercial Koi fish pellets, grounded up. Fairly inexpensive for larger quantities compared to other products and there is no Red dyes. The roaches seem to enjoy it as well.
I'll have to try that.

I've been feeding ours whatever greens & fruit our lizards are eating. When I mixed dry baby cereal & dry dog food (ground up) they picked out the dog food. So when I feed the crickets greens I throw some in with the roaches with some fruit.

PuffDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I still include fruits and veggies about 2x a week. But for an overall protein/gutload I leave the ground up Koi pellets in 24/7 and refill as needed.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
PuffDragon said:
I still include fruits and veggies about 2x a week. But for an overall protein/gutload I leave the ground up Koi pellets in 24/7 and refill as needed.
What do you use for moisture?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980