• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Feeding Tilapia?

fisheric

I have seen several people who say they give their tegu tilapia. Is there a certain reason? Where I live tilapia is getting expensive.

Why not cheaper fish. Fish sticks?

tora

Fish sticks are normally breaded? That and they're normally processed, which is a big no no. You could feed shrimp or cheaper filets, so long as it's fresh.
Fish shouldn't be a huge part of their diet anyway, so if you can't buy the right stuff it's probably best to just cut it out.

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
i get frozen fillets from albertsons or safeway. usually just if its on sale. tegus do not need to have fish but it helps to keep a varied diet

Draco D Tegu

Probably 1) it's one of the cheapest foods out there 2) it's farm raised (less chance of mercury poisoning etc) and 3) you can find it just about everywhere and 4) it's lean.

Those are the reasons I choose it.

tora

fisheric said:
I was joking about the fish sticks.

Just wondering if there was a reason people choose tilapia over other fish.

Hey, you never know, and it's hard to tell sarcasm through text. :p
Better safe than sorry.

And I think because it's usually the cheapest?

fisheric

tora said:
fisheric said:
I was joking about the fish sticks.

Just wondering if there was a reason people choose tilapia over other fish.

Hey, you never know, and it's hard to tell sarcasm through text. :p
Better safe than sorry.

And I think because it's usually the cheapest?

My gu will have to fight me for the tilapia. I love it.

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
tuna fillets and scallops are another favorite for my tegus lol. one of them seems to enjoy flounder as well

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I fed telapia because my tegus go nuts for it, i havent tried it with storm and rayne yet, but my tegu nero used to get really excited and would claw at my pants legs when she smelled it lol, achilles, pyro and gozar also loved it, i tried salmon fillets but no one really took interest unless i grounded it up in with some ground turkey lol, i got mines from walmart it was $4 for like 6-8 fillets

fisheric

jumper123 said:
its the cheapest fish around here.. and they seem to love it

It is a medium priced fish here in northern california. But the price has increased rapidly the last few years as it becomes more popular.

I think the market where I usually shop had some kinda white fish for $2/lbs and tilapia was on sale for about $5.

The market I shop at is Korean so they always have alot of fish that I have never heard of/seen before. Makes for interesting shopping.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
As much as you want as long as he's getting frozen-thawed mice dusted on calcium.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erectus