• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Final decision

Dereks-Dragons

Okay so I'm getting one female to breed to my extreme male. I have 2 choices from this one guy, a 3 year old 3.5 foot female b&w arg. Never missed a hibernation or the same but a arg. Red. Is 400 alot for an adult female red? Or should I try and negotiate a bit? Thanks

By the way I just want to say thanks to EVERYBODY who has helped me on here. This is BY FAR the best forum I have ever joined. As a 15(almost 16) year old and me, being who I am, I'm very prone to impule buys and the such. And all of you guys hAve NICELY helped me and led me In the right direction. On some forums people will flip out and completely bash you instead of actually helping. After Talkig I a few threads I dont know why I would do if you guys hadn't talked me into getting only one female... I would have ended up with a #%^* load of babies haha. Just wanted to say thanks :)

herpgirl2510

I could be wrong but $400 seems a little steep for a red female but again I am no expert. How is her color and pattern I bet that could make a big difference in price also what are her blood lines. You should post.

Dereks-Dragons

All I know is that she's 3.5 foot, 3 years and never missed a year of hibernation. The guy saw my fauna ad and called me yesterday I'm going to call him back today and get pics and more info then go from there on the price but it seemed a little high to me too

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I just posted on your other thread. I think $400 is a lot for a red. But it depends on how absolutely perfect it is and how badly you want it, lol. Then figure up to $70 shipping for an adult tegu.

Dereks-Dragons

He's not terribly far he's I'n massachusetts. I'm I'n new York. For that price maybe he will reliever? Hahah. I'm going to ask for 400 shipped at least. What pairing did you do that caused problems? Just curious, is it more likely to happen with extremeXred or extremeXb&w. Probably the same for both since both reds and b&ws are agrentines correct?

babyyitslove

I just got a 3 y/o adult female b&w for $300. I'd try to talk him down at LEAST $100. B&w typically run $250 or less for hatchlings. I didn't mind paying an extra $50 for a big girl who is as tame, sweet, and social as she is.

Get ALL of the facts.

tora

I second the above comment. Reds are usually a good bit more, and as adults the price just goes up.

j.sawyer48

herpgirl2510 said:
B&W hatchlings usually go for around $150 hatchling reds go for $250. I paid 200 for my 2 year old adult male B&W

were in mass do u get ur tegus ? just wondering i only know one place

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I would find out who the parents to your big extreme male are and get a female from a different pairing.

j.sawyer48

yea thats were i got mine i love nerd they actually have another red for sale the last time i was down there but mike was sellin him or her for 270

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
From the questions you ask as well as questions that have been asked and you haven't answered,.. I don't think you're ready. In your other post you said you're not doing it so much for the money but for the experience. Which is an excuse that so many people use with out regards for the animals, their babies and what happens to them when very few are sold.

Where's the market for what you're doing, are there people interested, do you have a waiting list? If not what happens when most or even all of the babies hatch and you can barely sell half of them?

40 some odd babies is a lot, whether people are interested or not, things happen, they change their minds, then what?.

Red x B&W,.. in my opinion not that great,.. I have yet to see one that I like or makes me want one.

B&W x Extreme,.. I've already said there's not much difference between the two. People have a hard enough time telling them apart so why blur the lines even more.

Red x Extreme,.. hasn't been done but once again not much difference between the two besides color. Next to Extremes, Reds are already the largest of the tegus so,.. what are you trying to accomplish with this pairing?

Dereks-Dragons

By saying I'm not I'n it for the money but for the experience i mean that i don't care if i make $ off of it or not. I do have about a dozen people who want one if i breed, fauna classifieds, and my friend works at a pet store,it's a nice small family owned store and they would buy some wholesale from me, my friend runs the replies and fish and he makes sure people know what they are doing before making the sale. Also i might keep one. There's many ways to sell the babies. And i know i don't know everything yet but i have all fall and winter to keep researching i only know the general stuff right now and that's enough for me to know that yes, it's a big undertaking, but im ready for it. By a redXextreme cross i don't have anything I'n particles I'n mind for why i want to do this pairing but it seems like it would make some nice looking babies. Red and white pretty Mich, with black accents. I expect they will look somewhat similar to my paraguAy red, but more white. Just something about a redXextreme has seemed interesting to me from the start. I just want to have my pair set, and hibernating so that I'm set In the spring if i decide to actually breed. If my spring i decide I'm not ready, then i don't have to breed. But i plan to. But once again. If something happens or i decide not to it's not like if i get the female now, that i HAVE to breed. I just want to be set up and ready for if i do.

herpgirl2510

Spoken like a true teenager no offense intended at all I remember when I was a teenager( I still am a know it all). I think regardless you will make your own decision if I was you I would do the research leg work yourself it is the best way to learn get together talk to other breeders. Get their ideas see if there is a market for what you are breeding. See the money that is invoved and if realistically you can pull it off. Tegus are eating machines I have two and it costs me several hundred dollars a month to feed them.

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Yes there are many ways to sell them, the same outlets other people use to sell the same thing. How many tegus are up on KS, Fauna other pet shops and websites right now that people haven't been able to move?

You don't seem too selective in picking your breeding stock so what sets your tegus apart from the others? Besides the fact that it's a Red Extreme cross which isn't much different from what's already out there. There are High contrast Reds, darker Reds with more Black even Reds with little to no black or dark markings at all. An Ext Red would fall some where in there,.. it may even be a little more orange,.. ish since Extremes change to a cream color as they age.

Underground has Red x Blue poss Albino hybrids that they're still trying to move. They're even pushing Paraguay Reds over Argentinians as a marketing scheme and those are barely moving as well. More and more people are breeding just because Every year. It's almost like,.. if it's not a Blue or an AA good luck selling them especially by the time you're ready.

Plan to come out on top of the game with something new and better or get lost in it. When you're selling something, you're looking to make a profit, so money is always an issue, regardless. You're either making it or losing it.

:blush: Just some extra things to think about until the time comes.

Dereks-Dragons

Yes, like i said i want to have my stuff set I'n case i do breed. And if by spring aftenall my research and stuff i don't feel lime i can pull it off the i just won't breed them. No big deal. I think an orange looking tegu would be AWSOME i thin i would even keep one or 2 lol. With my Beardies i breed mostly for top notch oranges. Its not set I'n stone, but i wanna have everyhig set so that i have all my options set next spring. I just found another adult red female for 300. Awaiting pics on both. I think it can be a quite interesting pairing. Even if it does look like some of the different reds it wouldnt be a big deal, but you never really know until they hatch. You can bet i will he asking ALOT of questions over the next few months :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pags1029