• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

FINALLY she sheds!

DZLife

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I've been soaking and spraying her a bunch, and finally, after a few weeks, she sheds! I was worried that she might loose more toe-tips and/or nails than she already had before I got her.

Will post pics after I upload!

DZLife

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
0511081131.jpg

HURRAY FOR GOOD SHEDS!

0511081134.jpg

ish sleppy! tegu=zzzz

DZLife

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I'm still kinda worried about her toes (and tailtip)...I really don't want any more damage to be done than already has. There are little pieces of retained shed that just don't want to come off!

PuffDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
The retained shed will probabaly come off. They don't shed in one big piece like other species. Glad your keeping such a close eye on her. She looks way better! I think it's funny how you always start a post that should have pics but then we gotta wait because your uploading. lol Why not just upload first and post in one fluid motion?? haha :)

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Try putting some olive oil on the retained sheds. A few treatments should loosen them.

Do you have most of the tank top covered?? If not all of the humidity rises right out very quickly with the heat. Cover all of it with aluminum foil except a square for each of the lights. When you think you've got it right cover the aluminum foil with black duct tape, it looks very professional. You could leave a 6" square open and cover it with a foil & tape flap to fine adjust the humidity. Monitor your temps & humidity with an Accu-Rite temp/hygrometer available at Wal-Mart for $11.

DZLife

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
DaveDragon said:
Try putting some olive oil on the retained sheds. A few treatments should loosen them.

Do you have most of the tank top covered?? If not all of the humidity rises right out very quickly with the heat. Cover all of it with aluminum foil except a square for each of the lights. When you think you've got it right cover the aluminum foil with black duct tape, it looks very professional. You could leave a 6" square open and cover it with a foil & tape flap to fine adjust the humidity. Monitor your temps & humidity with an Accu-Rite temp/hygrometer available at Wal-Mart for $11.

I use the good ol' foil method on almost all of my enclosures. The problem isn't that her humidity isn't high enough....I'm paranoid-ishly careful about the care of my reptiles. My dilemma is getting the skin moist enough for her to be able to remove old retained sheds. Even with a humid enclosure and regular mistings as well as baths, I still can't seem to get the retained sheds (mainly on a few of her toe-tips and tail-tip) to come off without forcing it.

lizardboy101

5 Year Member
Your doing a great job with her...I just kind of took a Chacoan male and a B&W from him. Probably not the smartest thing in the world, but hey...stupid decisions aren't alway bad right? Gotta ask...what have you done to her that has made her come out looking so much better?

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
You are doing a great job with her Brooks, she is starting to look like a sexy tegu again, keep up the good work!! :)

DZLife

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
lizardboy101 said:
Your doing a great job with her...I just kind of took a Chacoan male and a B&W from him. Probably not the smartest thing in the world, but hey...stupid decisions aren't alway bad right? Gotta ask...what have you done to her that has made her come out looking so much better?

It might even be the one I just sent back to him XD

If so, be careful, he has gotten kinda nasty as he wasn't given much time. He was like that before I got him. He's gonna need A LOT of work to get him dociled down again.

Oh, and I just fed her a variety of foods. I started out just with Superworms (NOT mealworms) and pinkies. I eventually gave them some egg YOKE. They love that. Once they had gotten addicted to the occasional egg yoke treat, I began putting different mashed up fruit pieces with a little bit of egg yoke dribbled over the fruit in her little bowl. She was finicky at first, but she got used to it. She still usually only eats her fruits with a little egg yoke dribbled on it, but I have been using less and less yoke each time. Sometimes she will eat it without the yoke. The times that she won't, I will put a little yoke on the fruit. I ALWAYS try to get her to eat it without the yoke first.

The fruits that I have gotten this to work for so are:

Mashed up warm strawberries (she won't eat them cold)
bite-size banana pieces (again, she won't eat them fresh out of the fridge..they must be left under the heat lamp for a bit first.)

I don't remember if I ever got the male to eat fruit. He DID, however, always try to steal food from her mouth instead of the bowl, which resulted in some mild puncture marks along her snout and head. Needless to say, I fed them separately after I realized what was going on.

Oh, and for the first pinkies, she wouldn't eat them right away. I had to puncture the heads. If you are using frozen/thawed pinkies, this usually causes a clear-ish ooze to come out. The taste and scent of this ooze initiates a heightened feeding response.

Oh, and I also almost forgot to say that in addition to egg yoke, I would often place the pinkies mixed in the fruit. They get the taste of the fruit when they eat the mice out, and that helped get her to eat fruit as well.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
It’s_me