• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

First 2 enclosures (DUW)

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
These are the first 2 enclosures I built for our Red and Blue Tegu's. They still need trim.

100_4840_.jpg

100_4852_.jpg

In process.

100_4260_.jpg

100_4464_.jpg

100_4470_.jpg

100_4471_.jpg

100_4473_.jpg

100_4606_.jpg

100_4635_.jpg

100_4641_.jpg

100_4643_.jpg

100_4654_.jpg

100_4657_.jpg

PuffDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Pretty sweet. I am getting more and more ideas for my cage everyday! What's the dimensions?

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
7 feet by 3 feet by 3 feet. I only had room for 7 feet.

It's built in 2 pieces in the garage and assembled in the family room (basement).

olympus

5 Year Member
Your enclosures are pretty hot, I really like the way that you designed and constructed everything. The backround that you installed are cool also.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Thanks!

That background is $3 per foot (aquarium background)!!! I need 13 feet per enclosure! As you can guess, no one has ever bought that much of it at one time before (at least at this pet store).

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Awesome Dave, great pictures, and you have a super nice looking enclosures. :)

PuffDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I like the screened top to separate the lighting. Is that just chicken wire from a hardware store?

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
playlboi said:
man, that looks nice. how long did it take you to build the whole thing?
Thanks everyone! They took me about 3 weeks each. Mostly because gluing down the vinyl flooring (in the base) takes 4 steps over 4 days and 3 days for final prime and paint.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
PuffDragon said:
I like the screened top to separate the lighting. Is that just chicken wire from a hardware store?
It's 1/2" galvanized hardware cloth.

The doors have black vinyl coated 1/2" hardware cloth to reduce the chance of them damaging their nose on it. That was the hardest thing to find. I found a manufacturer and they gave me a name of a guy who lives about a half hour away who sold some to me.

nat

5 Year Member
hey dave, I like your idea. I am wondering if you find your tegu's rub on the wire or is it high enough up not to be an issue? We are in the middle of planning the final tegu enclosure and I like how you went about yours

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
nat said:
hey dave, I like your idea. I am wondering if you find your tegu's rub on the wire or is it high enough up not to be an issue? We are in the middle of planning the final tegu enclosure and I like how you went about yours
Actually I got the idea from a guy in another forum from Texas. I just improved it. He's had reptiles and been building enclosures for over 30 years. He also did a thesis on monitors. He's also been doing rescues for many years. I figure he has to know something about what he's doing.

They've never rubbed on the top wire (galvanized). It probably has to do with their personality, some are more nervous than others. Our male Blue has had a problem rubbing his chin raw in his old cage and this one, but in this one be would bang it on the background trying to find a way out. He's been good for that last few weeks though. He still really likes to come out almost every day!

The only problem with the screen top and front is it doesn't hold in any humidity. The Tegu's have a small tub to soak in , a water bowl, they get a bath every weekend (if they're awake), and their substrate in watered (3/4 to 1 1/4 gallons!) and/or turned every weekend. Misting does nothing, it evaporates off of the surface in minutes. I figure since they spend over half of their day under the substrate they have to be getting a fair amount of humidity, although the top3 inches may be dry. The only one with dry skin problems is the Red. The last 2 weekends he's slept in his bath for 45 to 60 minutes, but still had flakey skin. I may have to seal up his enclosure.

ALPHA

5 Year Member
Wow, very nice work. Aesthetically pleasing. How much did all your supplies cost and how long did it take to make

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu