• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

First 2 enclosures (DUW)

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
ALPHA said:
Wow, very nice work. Aesthetically pleasing. How much did all your supplies cost and how long did it take to make
I don't remember the cost. Let's add some guesses.

(15) 2x2's (frame) @ $2.00 each = $30
(3) 2x4's (base) @ $3 each = $9
(1) sheet 3/8" plywood (base) = $15
(3) sheets 1/4" plywood (skin) @ $12 each = $36
surplus vinyl flooring = $18
vinyl flooring glue = $5
1/2" hardware cloth = $5
1/2" vinyl coated hardware cloth = $10
(4) hinges @ $3 each = $12
(2) handles = free (from work)
(2) hasps @ $5 each = $10
(4) casters) @ $5 each = $20
drywall screws = $10

Total to build = $180
The prices are guesses. I saved the receipts but never added up the cost. Maybe next week.

Mylar background (13) feet @ $3 per foot = $39

Add prime and paint.

Substitute lexan for vinyl coated hardware cloth on doors if required. I think I have to do that on the Red's enclosure. He needs more humidity other than watering the cypress substrate (the top dries quickly).

They took about 3 weeks total each to build, including priming and painting. Gluing down the vinyl takes 4 steps @ 1 step per day.

I forgot one more thing!
(5) 3 cubic foot bags of cypress mulch (Agway) @ $15 for 3 bags = $30. Changed every other month.

angelrose

5 Year Member
wow Dave that is so, so nice and I like the wheels underneath so you can move it around easily 8)

I wish I knew someone around here that could build me one.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
angelrose said:
wow Dave that is so, so nice and I like the wheels underneath so you can move it around easily 8)

I wish I knew someone around here that could build me one.
Thanks! It only weighs 170 lbs empty. There's no reason for a 2 x 4 frame and 3/4" plywood (we're not holding in a gorilla!), the bottom frame supports all the weight, the top part just keeps the Tegu in. It's strong enough to easily support another enclosure and mulch on top! I haven't weighed a bag of mulch but it's not light. They move around fairly easily, not that I have to move them much.

If I had time I could build them, but the shipping would be a killer!!! :mrgreen:

gebris353

5 Year Member
They are great, I wish I had the room for a big one like those. My bedroom is 10x10 so with all the stuff I dont have space for a 7x4 one... I've been thinking in make one of the size of my bed to put it under it, after make the bed higher of course, or put it on the wall at a 6ft high but I'm afraid I could fall. Anyways, very nice job! :-D

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
gebris353 said:
They are great, I wish I had the room for a big one like those. My bedroom is 10x10 so with all the stuff I dont have space for a 7x4 one... I've been thinking in make one of the size of my bed to put it under it, after make the bed higher of course, or put it on the wall at a 6ft high but I'm afraid I could fall. Anyways, very nice job! :-D
I think someone else in this forum built an enclosure under their bed.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu