• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

First time outside

apocalypse910

So I took Loki outside today - it did not go well at all. I could really use some advice as I'm a bit freaked out about how close he came to escaping.

Loki is a 2012 extreme - just over 3 months old. He's usually the tamest, most well behaved lizard I've ever seen. He did manage to escape from me on the second day I had him (indoors) so I do have a healthy respect for how fast they can move if they decide to escape.

I finally found a reptile harness that fits him and I've been practicing walking him around the house so I didn't have any nasty surprises. Suprisingly he didn't freak out at all and while he doesn't love the harness there haven't been any meltdowns. I've noticed that we can walk him no problem, but once we stop and he is no longer pulling forward he can shrug out of it pretty easily.

We did a trial walk outside, first he sat on my husband's shoulder - he seemed to love being outside and was tongue-flicking like mad at all the new smells but didn't show any signs of stress. I then sat down with him on my lap and he slowly wandered around like usual. He was being so calm I let him step off my lap onto the lawn. About three seconds after his feet touched grass he turned into a wild lizard - ran like mad, hit the end of his leash, started thrashing round like crazy and whipping his tail. I had a horrible time grabbing him even while he was on the leash. The second I got him he managed to squirm out of the harness, he tail whipped, tried to bite, and it was everything I could do to wrestle him back inside.

I knew they could pull a Jekyll and Hyde act once outside but I was unprepared for the speed and extent of the personality shift. I thought I was taking every precaution but I feel like this was way too much of a close call. How do I attempt this again without the risk of losing my lizard - he's so fast I have no idea what I'd do if he had slipped the leash a second earlier. I'm thinking of taking him out in the feeding bin or even getting a play pen but it seemed like he was ok until he touched the grass.

Any ideas on how to best approach this?

kim86

I took my yearling outside, but just onto the floor of our balcony a little bit after I got him, and he freaked out in that kind of way. Thrashed, ran away fast. I think taking them outside at an early age will make 'em get used to the wide open spaces and the sky, but maybe just keep yours on your shoulder and off the ground until he gets used to things. Also, try switching the type of harness you're using. I have a hatchling now and I bought him a mesh type harness with leg holes that goes all away around, I haven't tried putting it on him yet but it seems pretty escape proof.

apocalypse910

kim86 said:
I took my yearling outside, but just onto the floor of our balcony a little bit after I got him, and he freaked out in that kind of way. Thrashed, ran away fast. I think taking them outside at an early age will make 'em get used to the wide open spaces and the sky, but maybe just keep yours on your shoulder and off the ground until he gets used to things. Also, try switching the type of harness you're using. I have a hatchling now and I bought him a mesh type harness with leg holes that goes all away around, I haven't tried putting it on him yet but it seems pretty escape proof.

Thanks for the advice!
Yeah unfortunately the harness thing has been a problem so far - I bought a ferret harness and he seems to get out of that without even trying. I bought a reptile leash online which is basically just fabric with two leg holes that cinches at the top - it seems more secure than the others I've seen but tegus seem to be insanely adept at getting free.

tegus4life

You can try manipulating the harness to try to make it more secure, or you can attempt to make an outdoor enclosure that'll let him get used to being outside without having a way of escaping. It's kind of a sensory overload for a tegu that's lived in a cage it's whole life experiencing all these new sounds, smells, etc. It may just take your tegu a while to get used to all the new stuff

KABIKANO

apocalypse910 said:
So I took Loki outside today - it did not go well at all. I could really use some advice as I'm a bit freaked out about how close he came to escaping.

Loki is a 2012 extreme - just over 3 months old. He's usually the tamest, most well behaved lizard I've ever seen. He did manage to escape from me on the second day I had him (indoors) so I do have a healthy respect for how fast they can move if they decide to escape.

I finally found a reptile harness that fits him and I've been practicing walking him around the house so I didn't have any nasty surprises. Suprisingly he didn't freak out at all and while he doesn't love the harness there haven't been any meltdowns. I've noticed that we can walk him no problem, but once we stop and he is no longer pulling forward he can shrug out of it pretty easily.

We did a trial walk outside, first he sat on my husband's shoulder - he seemed to love being outside and was tongue-flicking like mad at all the new smells but didn't show any signs of stress. I then sat down with him on my lap and he slowly wandered around like usual. He was being so calm I let him step off my lap onto the lawn. About three seconds after his feet touched grass he turned into a wild lizard - ran like mad, hit the end of his leash, started thrashing round like crazy and whipping his tail. I had a horrible time grabbing him even while he was on the leash. The second I got him he managed to squirm out of the harness, he tail whipped, tried to bite, and it was everything I could do to wrestle him back inside.

I knew they could pull a Jekyll and Hyde act once outside but I was unprepared for the speed and extent of the personality shift. I thought I was taking every precaution but I feel like this was way too much of a close call. How do I attempt this again without the risk of losing my lizard - he's so fast I have no idea what I'd do if he had slipped the leash a second earlier. I'm thinking of taking him out in the feeding bin or even getting a play pen but it seemed like he was ok until he touched the grass.

Any ideas on how to best approach this?

[size=large]ANYTHING KOULD'VE SPOOKED LOKI. SINCE HE'S SO YOUNG, MAYBE JUST KEEP THE FREE ROAMING TO THE INSIDE OF THE HOUSE OR BETTER YET, A SINGLE ROOM. KAN'T EMPHASIZE ENOUGH THAT THINGS HAVE TO BE TAKEN REAL S-L-O-W WITH TEGUS. GOTTA KRAWL 'FO YOU KAN WALK! KAN'T RUN IF YOU KAN'T WALK! JUST BE EAZY AND IT WILL BE ALRIGHT. GOOD LUCK!!! KEEP US POSTED![/size]

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Get a better harness or us a bin, pin or something they can't get out of. It takes time for them to adapt to being outside the same way they had to adapt when we got them. Just continue with short sessions for now and gradually extend the time they spend out side.

They have way more to take in, process inside than out. At that time what's most important is determining what's a threat and what's not. So for a while they will constantly be on high alert and ready to bolt and or fight even though they look calm on the surface, that'll change in a heart beat.

It may be just me but I'd much rather have a young tegu panic and try to take me out than an older, larger and much stronger one.

@ Kabikano,.. my nephew ran before he could walk. :) I'm constantly reminded of that when people say other wise. Even though our first word is suppose to be something rudimentary like mama or dada his was computer. lol

KABIKANO

Bubblz Calhoun said:
@ Kabikano,.. my nephew ran before he could walk. :) I'm constantly reminded of that when people say other wise. Even though our first word is suppose to be something rudimentary like mama or dada his was computer. lol

Well, then you've got a special nephew then now don't you?!

apocalypse910

Bubblz Calhoun said:
Get a better harness or us a bin, pin or something they can't get out of. It takes time for them to adapt to being outside the same way they had to adapt when we got them. Just continue with short sessions for now and gradually extend the time they spend out side.

They have way more to take in, process inside than out. At that time what's most important is determining what's a threat and what's not. So for a while they will constantly be on high alert and ready to bolt and or fight even though they look calm on the surface, that'll change in a heart beat.

It may be just me but I'd much rather have a young tegu panic and try to take me out than an older, larger and much stronger one.

Yeah - I don't want to push him too much - but realizing that I maybe have a few weeks of good weather where I can take him outside left. If he doesn't hibernate I'm going to have a gigantic tegu to deal with come next spring - and I'm not looking forward to dinosaur tantrums if I try to introduce him to the outside then.

Tried to take him out on the porch today in hand and he's now freaking the second we get to the door - probably going to need to wait. In the meantime I set up a window perch for him with a heat mat and his stuffed toy so he can get used to it. Seems happy and content sniffing the air and watching squirrels go by.

OZZZ

I have a slightly off topic question for ya... stuffed toy? What's that all about? They play with toys!?

apocalypse910

OZZZ said:
I have a slightly off topic question for ya... stuffed toy? What's that all about? They play with toys!?

We got a stuffed toy (very chew resistant) for him early on - we kept it in our bed for a while so it picked up our scent - basically just a variant of the T-Shirt Trick. It ended up being way to big for him but I've been giving it to him when he's out of the cage and he seems to like cuddling up to it - Not sure if he likes it or it is just comfortable but it is very adorable. I've heard cases of tegus playing with toys, and carrying them around - figured I'd give it a try.

FSXKK.jpg

He has a treat ball that he seems to enjoy pushing around as well - may not be playing in the strictest sense but he seems to like it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6MlJ7IbrtY

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
It’s_me