• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

First Try at Breeding

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I took a half day from work yesterday to get a few things done. I checked on all the Tegu's. The female Blue has refused to eat for 6 days and is looking a bit chunky around the middle. I called Bobby. He said sometimes they are building follicles for next year but there is no way to tell if she will breed this year or next, so he suggested getting them together and see what happens. The last time my wife tried to get them together outside and the male took a small chunk out of her. I thought we might be done. So I put the female in the males enclosure, taking everything out but a huge corner water bowl. He chased her around and mounted her a few times, usually pinning her next to the water bowl. Mostly she just ran away from him. When he mounted he bit her neck but they wouldn't wrap tails, even when I was trying to help. After 20-25 minutes he grabbed her whole head in his mouth and she bit him on one of his front legs. I said that's enough and separated them. I took a bunch of video but nothing really happened.

We'll try again over the weekend in her enclosure. I've thought about trying her with the male Red but he's twice her size. He could rip her apart!

hoosier

5 Year Member
Keep at it! it would be neat for you to get some blue hatchlings :-D
but as for the redXblue thing i think it would be better if you bred a male blue with a female red. that way there isnt that much of a size difference. 8)
good luck with the blues!! :-D

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Thanks!! We'll keep trying. I've heard about the female red/male blue thing before but couldn't remember which way was preferred.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980