• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

fish as food

frost

1,000+ Post Club
i been looking around youtube and i saw a few vids of snakes eating fish. this got me to thinking that maybe i could give a few of my snakes some surf and turf. i dont see any problems with any injury to the snake that i know of. anyone have any thoughts on this?

dragonmetalhead

1,000+ Post Club
In all honesty I don't think most snakes would take fish. Very few species display piscivorous tendencies. Fin spines are the biggest issue when swallowing a fish; if you down it tail-first it make get caught in your throat and puncture your esophagus. I know garter and ribbon snakes take fish. I've kept a half dozen different species of snakes over the past 20 years and have had absolutely zero issues with a rodent-only diet. Also, live feeder fish from pet stores are notorious for being loaded with parasites.

frost

1,000+ Post Club
yeah thats a few issues i was afraid of. i dont really trust most petstores. i dont really have a problem with feeding rodents but i was thinking of changing it up once a month or so.

frost

1,000+ Post Club
haha yeah, the raw meat doesnt really make it smell too good either. mice dont really stink tho.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pags1029