• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Follicles

Bentley83

5 Year Member
Hey Bobby, My tegus are still together and everyday my male (Bentley) pops his jowls and starts to huff, clawing and all that fun stuff when it comes to courting. But, she is getting big in that area where eggs would form. Should I wait little longer? I dont seem him copulate her not until late march early April. I just dont want to absorb those follicles. But I was going to take another picture because WOW she is heavy with follicles. Cant wait thanks Should I wait a little longer to get hay or what? This is exciting

Chris

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Post some pics of her! Are they together all the time? You can't be watching them all day. They could be doin' the nasty while you're gone. It is a month or more early but you never know! :mrgreen:

Dang Blue Tegu's won't be ready to copulate until the beginning of August!!!!! :doh

Bentley83

5 Year Member
Hey Dave, I have seen them do the nasty but i its hard to see becaus eof there large tails get in the way. But she is big, im thinking that it might take a little bit more time. How long is the courtship behavior go for? I guess its a lot of hard work to get a females attention but i dunno i wait. I realize that this is time consuming.

Chris

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
If they wrap tails they're probably doing it. How long has this been going on?? You should provide hay for her to make a nest. Let them do it for a few days but once she starts making a nest they should be separated. The female may get very defensive with her nest. If she's going to lay it will be within 1 to 2 weeks after copulation. You'll notice her getting bigger every day as she shells the eggs. My female lost alot of mass in her tail just before laying, it was T shaped. If you thing she's going to lay you need to have an incubator set up with the proper substrate, moisture, humidity, & most important, temp. See my Incubator Sticky. http://www.tegutalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=2258 60 days incubation before they hatch. That's a LOOOONG time!!!!! Boy, I know it!!!

Hopefully Bobby will stop in and confirm they can breed this early.

This isn't easy, but it's easier than incubating chicken eggs, like we're doing now. My wife and oldest son bought Silkie eggs online and had no plan on how to incubate them. My incubator is too big for 8 chicken eggs so I told her to get a chicken incubator at AGWAY. I set it up the night they came (the eggs have to settle for 24 hours anyway) and had to do some tweaking the night they went in (last night). In approx. 17 days we'll know if I got it right.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980