• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

free B&W Argentine Tegu, needs new home asap!

jmmacfarlane

Hi everyone,
So I have a 3 ft look black and white Argentine tegu that needs a new home ASAP. He has a slight respiratory infection and I don't have the money to bring him to a vet. I called the vet and they told me everything I needed to do to help him the best I could but I'm unable to buy him anything as well. My fiance and I have to move to a new apartment since we just recently found out we're expecting a baby, so we have to save up every penny we have to move in a month.
I admit, I wasn't ready to take on the responsibility of a tegu when I first got him off of Craigslist. I had no idea what to expect and I've tried giving him the care he needs but I don't have the means to. I feel really bad because if I can't find someone to take him that's willing to get him the antibiotics and proper housing that he needs, I know he's eventually going to die. I've gotten really attached to the little guy, and I know its wrong of me to have kept him as long as I have. He needs someone that knows what they're doing, and I can't seem to do that for him.
So please please please help, I really don't want him to die because of my lack of knowledge on how to care for him. And I'm not asking for anything in return, just a home that can give the little guy what he needs.
And btw, he's an amazing tegu. He likes his back scratched and he arches up like a cat whenever you do. He's great with people and animals of any kind (cats, dogs, etc) and just an all around, well behaved lizard.
Feel free to call or text me if you can give him a proper home. I'd truly appreciate it.
Jessica
774-454-9956

txrepgirl

5 Year Member
Hi Jessica. I'm very sorry to hear about your Tegu and that you have to find him a new home. Where are you from if you don't mind me asking ? To be honest with you I recommend finding a new home for him close by ( pick up, or meeting the person ). I wouldn't ship him since he is sick. I would help out but looking at your area code you are not located where I live. I wish you all the best.

jmmacfarlane

I live in Portland, Oregon. Sorry forgot to mention that! And thank you all for the fast responses. It truly means a lot. And I'll take pictures right now. He doesn't look sick, I just knew something was up when he became less active, ate less, and started coughing/sneezing a bit. The vet said that his infection isn't that bad, and he will most likely get better instantly once he has the proper levels of heat, humidity and everything. Poor little guy is just too cold and I feel horrible for letting him get this way :( I just want to fix it and get him happy as well as healthy again.

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
If you have a heating pad, perhaps you can put it under the enclosure to raise the heat a bit. Or maybe use regular light bulbs to raise the basking temps. Keeping him warm will help him fight off an infection and at least keep it from getting worse.

Khoilie

You should be proud of yourself Jessica for doing the right thing. I hope you find a good home for him soon. And if all else fails I'm sure a pet store or reptile specialty store would take him

jmmacfarlane

I tried asking the local reptile store if they would take him just out of concern for the lizards health but they said they wouldn't take a sick lizard. They offered to take him if I got him healthy but I don't have the money for that now since I have a month to save up for the initial deposit on a new apartment.
I've been trying to amp his heat up but I'm not quite sure of the temp its at now since the thermometer I had in his cage broke (adds another thing that went wrong). But its hard to keep his cage warm when we don't use the heat much in our apartment (our roommate is a stickler about using the heat). But I've been making sure his substrate stays wet enough with hot water and covering the cage with towels to help hold the heat in.
I just don't know how much else I can do without having money :\

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I don't know if you have considered it but it may be best to put him to sleep if you can't afford to properly care for and make sure he gets better. Very few people will take in a sick reptile especially with a RI because they are contagious. Unless they are aware of, actually use and have a separate place to quarantine him, which he needs to be quarantined.

Any one that takes him in risks spreading the infection to the rest of their pets. Some times even if he is quarantined since there's no such thing as a True Quarantine in a typical household.

I don't know if you have any Reptile Rescues where you are but the fact that he has an RI will be an issue.

naturboy87

ok it might seem weard and im not shur if u will but i had a simular situation (boddy heat) ... we are almost at a 100 like lil heators skin to skin will worm him up much moor then the cold house i woke up one night and the heator had gon out i sleped w them for like a week till they got better .... its the best cheapest heator u got .

jmmacfarlane

That's a good idea! I'd have to have him sleep next to my fiance though since I was told I can't have contact with him since he's sick, since it could affect the baby. :\ but I will most definitely try that out! And I'm searching for a reptile rescue around my town as we speak.

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Just to point out, the high humidity, low temp, little ventilation combination is a recipe for RI. You want to keep him dryer if the temps are lower. Cold, wet reptiles get sick. And you want to keep him in one area so you aren't spreading germs around.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
http://www.rescuenetwork.org/locator/search.php?&state%5B%5D=Oregon&sort=state

http://www.house-of-reptiles.com/aboutus.html

http://reptile.rescueme.org/Oregon

Here are a few links to rescues in Oregon.

Dana C

I will take him and nurse him back to health but I will need help with the shipping expense. That large and the time of year, it will cost around $180 to ship him plus proper boxing, heat packs etc. After he is healthy I will offer him to any one that is knowledgeable and that can give him a good home. In other words, I will be a foster dad if I can get some help.

Draco D Tegu

Not sure that shipping a sick anything is wise. Not only could the animal suffer but any animals in the same vehicle could pick up the bug due to fomite transmission. Good luck Jessica....I hope you find the dude a good home!

TheTeguGurl

Hello I am in central Oregon and have a small Tegu rescue here locally. If you are willing to drive him here I can take care of him and provide vet care.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980