• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Fruit for young gu

techhousejunkie

5 Year Member
Is it allright to try to feed my tegu strawberries about 2 hours after he ate around a dozen crickets or is that overkill? My red tegu is about a month now and Im wondering if I should try and feed him the fruit yet?

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
ABSOLUTELY!!! The sooner you get him to eat fruit the better. If he's hungry hopefully he'll eat it. It can't hurt to try.

greentriple

5 Year Member
I cut fruit into bite-size pieces and put it in a bowl with his non-fruit food. I also mix fruit w/turkey and lamb heart. My tegu has eaten any and all fruit given with the exception of pineapple. I started him on fruit from the get go.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
techhousejunkie said:
Is there a place were you draw the line with overfeeding?
I did manage to overfeed our new 3 year old Blue Tegu and got him impacted. I was told he was less aggressive when his belly was full. He cleaned his bowl every day, whatever I put in there. After 4 days he started throwing up. I knew what I had done.

A growing Tegu has a higher metabolism so I would assume it would be hard to over feed him. With fruit I doubt it, but overfeeding with rodents sure could. It takes longer to digest all the bone. The hair doesn't get digested and feeding too many rodents too fast could result in hair impaction, like a cat. Our Blue gets a laxative in his mouse on Sunday with a fancy named "cat hair ball" medicine squirted into it.

greentriple

5 Year Member
Nice Dave. In my minds eye I see your blue gu hacking away like one of my cats, making that wonderful sound cats make when yaking up a hairball.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980