• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Garuth and the Preowning Stage

EndlessPocketSand

Hey everyone!

I just wanted to introduce myself and get to know some of the people in this community prior to my purchase of a Black and White Argentine Tegu. I've been doing research for about a month or so and have been a 12 year owner of my ball python as well as various other snakes over the years. I am currently in the financial planning stages and will be setting aside money for possible vet visits (luckily we have the amazing Mississippi State Uni Vet school not 10 min from my house for any rough times), planning and building an enclosure, buying bulbs/lighting, humidifier, and figuring out monthly food costs and diet plan (I made sure not to forget calcium powder and multivitamins).

I was hoping that you all could offer some advice or anything to add to the list that would be good to have or you wish you knew about before owning one so i can give little baby Garuth the best possible life once I get him
My main concerns are:
A.) are there any suggested sprays or oils you guys recommend to help with emergency shedding issues on the chance that it is incomplete. Any tips or recommendations to prevent it but mainly help if it does happen.
B.) What can I do to prevent any issues with prolapsing and the more "common" issues they encounter
C.) do you all have any recommendations for good breeders in the Mississippi area or any good online ones or ones to avoid? (I'll be going to repticon at the end of this month aka march to speak with people)
D.) Do you know generally when most breeders have new tegu for sale?

Sorry to type such a novel but I appreciate all the future help I know ill receive from you all!

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Welcome. Threads here will answer some of your questions. Still, worth repeating- fish oil pills broken into food is great for skin and bowel movememts. Moist sphagnum moss in hide is helpful. Don't know of breeders in Miss.

Waters

Welcome. Threads here will answer some of your questions. Still, worth repeating- fish oil pills broken into food is great for skin and bowel movememts. Moist sphagnum moss in hide is helpful. Don't know of breeders in Miss.
Or better yet.....fish :) Mine loves silversides.

Waters

Okay! Good to know! I saw on some videos about diets to add some fish oil into the turkeyballs, but good to know that the silversides work as well! When it comes to fish in their diet, do they need to be descaled? salmon, silversides, etc.
No, they don't need to be descaled........just feed them whole, depending on the size of your tegu of course.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980