• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

gebris353 Asked me some questions on another forum.

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
gebris353, asked me some questions on another forum, so I copied his questions and gave him an invatation to join me here.
He also has some awesome videos on Youtube, I really enjoyed watching them, he also has a very, very nice looking tame tegu.

Check out his videos:
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/user/gebris353">http://www.youtube.com/user/gebris353</a><!-- m -->

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
This is his questions:

gebris353: Before the interpretation posts, I enjoyed reading your breeding post Varnyard, I live in Argentina so I know many of the breeders here: "El gringo" (I bought mine here), "Saurios", "Las tres iguanas" (of Roberto Fracchia in CÃ?Æ?Ã?â??Ã?â? Ã¢â?¬â?¢Ã?Æ?ââ?¬Å¡Ã?â??Ã?³rdoba), etc. I like yours better tho, cause here they use them for food, creams and do wallets and boots with their skin, just a little amoung go for pet stores, specially the ones exported.
Thank you Gebris, I do know of a few of them, and I have known Roberto Fracchia for about three years now. He comes to the Daytona Florida show every year and we spend a good bit of time talking there. I also agree that many of the tegus there are farmer for many things other than the pet trade.

I only have something to add and its that in the wild not all the tegus made their own nest, in fact they are lazy for that so they use to get one already done from nature or other animals specially "vizcachas" (couldnt find the translation for this word, they are little bigger than hares). And I've seen them, looking for a "vizcacha" and finding a lay tegu in the cave!

This is correct about the burrows, the nests I refer to is the nest itself. In the burrows in the wild, tegus gather nesting material, grasses, leaves and other debris to build the nest underground.

I have a question too, I dont know anything about breeding and since I have just discovered that my 10 years old tegu is a female in fact I got a doubt. I've never seen an egg from her, and a friend of mine with a iguana gets up to 40 eggs every year without any male. So is this normal for my tegu and this only happens to iguanas or this means my tegu is egg-binding or something like that? Thanks in advance!

Yes, that is a female, and a very nice looking female too. The production of eggs happens in many species without having a mate. However, I have found that tegus will absorb the follicles if they do not mate. I have seen tegu produce unfertile eggs, but not without being with a male.

I hope you decide to join us here, we are a very active forum, and enjoy learning about tegus.

gebris353

5 Year Member
Talking about tegus? I'm in! Thanks for the answers and the invitation too Bobby, good to know my new female is ok then, she was used to be a he for 10 years and I still call her Juancho hehe. Anyways thanks for the great comments too, glad to know you liked the videos. :-D

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoritoDan