• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Good baby enclosure

Dee-Dee Idrais

10 Gallon tank will not last for long, they grow really fast. In a couple of months you will need 40 gallon and at six months you'll be looking to get a 6- foot inclosure. Just watch lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dee-Dee Idrais

Sexing may not happen for a while. I got my first tegu when she was about 8-10 months old. I was told, 90% it's a male, named him Rocky and was very surprised, when he woke up from the winter sleep and turned out to be a girl lol. So I changed the spelling of her name to Rockie and girl it is

ballpythoncrazy

You are asking A LOT of very basic questions, did you do any research at all before purchasing this kind of commitment?

I fostered an adult tegu for about a month (I also had little to no knowledge on tegus but I researched as much as a could in the short time before it came to me) so anyone who is more experienced, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Baby tegus, even as small as yours, should start out in a 20-40 gallon tank as they grow QUICKLY. Yes, big tanks can frighten baby reptiles but it would work if you had lots of plants and cover and places for him to hide. And it would still be better than a basic 10 gallon tank with a food bowl and one hide..

Tegus also need UVB light and it looks like you only have a heat lamp on top of the tank. The UVB needs to go inside the tank, because the screen on top will block out all the important vitamins coming from the UVB, and the bulb will need to be changed our every 6 months (whether the light itself is still working or not).

I'm not sure what you're feeding him but, besides fruit, tegus also need meat, vegetables and bugs too I believe. And everything needs to be dusted with calcium.

Their hot spot needs to be pretty high. I want to say around.. 110 degrees fahrenheit (?).

These lizards get BIG, so be prepared to BUILD a custom cage in only a few short years. You won't find a cage that you can just purchase that will be big enough. I've seen some tegus that free roam the house but it is not suggested. And when s/he gets full grown be prepared to live wherever you are living for a decade or so. Moving a large animal, and it's large enclosure, is not easy. And it's hard to convince a land lord to let you have your small-dog-sized lizard and it's 6ft enclosure in their apartment...

That's all I can think of right now but I hope you knew what you were getting into when you bought this tiny little guy. There's way too many of these full grown 5ft tegus in reptile rescues because people just decide to get rid of them when they get too big or too hard to care for.

Tegulover411

I did a lot of research I just want to make sure he has the best and I have a reptilesun 10.0 and I live in a house so housing isn't a problem and I have a spare room I plan to use for him/she I have a job my mom thought it would be cool so she got him and I take care of him we spent the day bonding it ended with the little one sleeping on my neck while I slept of the floor I brought him into the bathroom which I swept to be safe. I love the little guy I want to have the best for him so that is why I'm asking all these question I'm not to sure about care sheets they give conflicting views

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
You are asking A LOT of very basic questions, did you do any research at all before purchasing this kind of commitment?

I fostered an adult tegu for about a month (I also had little to no knowledge on tegus but I researched as much as a could in the short time before it came to me) so anyone who is more experienced, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Baby tegus, even as small as yours, should start out in a 20-40 gallon tank as they grow QUICKLY. Yes, big tanks can frighten baby reptiles but it would work if you had lots of plants and cover and places for him to hide. And it would still be better than a basic 10 gallon tank with a food bowl and one hide..

Tegus also need UVB light and it looks like you only have a heat lamp on top of the tank. The UVB needs to go inside the tank, because the screen on top will block out all the important vitamins coming from the UVB, and the bulb will need to be changed our every 6 months (whether the light itself is still working or not).

I'm not sure what you're feeding him but, besides fruit, tegus also need meat, vegetables and bugs too I believe. And everything needs to be dusted with calcium.

Their hot spot needs to be pretty high. I want to say around.. 110 degrees fahrenheit (?).

These lizards get BIG, so be prepared to BUILD a custom cage in only a few short years. You won't find a cage that you can just purchase that will be big enough. I've seen some tegus that free roam the house but it is not suggested. And when s/he gets full grown be prepared to live wherever you are living for a decade or so. Moving a large animal, and it's large enclosure, is not easy. And it's hard to convince a land lord to let you have your small-dog-sized lizard and it's 6ft enclosure in their apartment...

That's all I can think of right now but I hope you knew what you were getting into when you bought this tiny little guy. There's way too many of these full grown 5ft tegus in reptile rescues because people just decide to get rid of them when they get too big or too hard to care for.

My abreviated rant I hope is valued again. The price for tegus must remain high to minimiize the extent of misery that has been played out with green iguanas for the same reason- grow fast to large size, special requirements. Fewer orphaned broken iggies if they went for 200-250.00.

I'll take 411 at their word AND I'll underscore that their care requires a commitment that unscrupulous vendors will play down for a buck.

Tegulover411

I understand that my mother wanted the tegu I planned for snakes I told her what you guys told me and she said I got everything we need(which we didn't). I think the guy just wanted money he didn't ask us any questions at all. I told her the care requirements and told her specificity want you said she called me unappreciative and that she already spent money on the damn lizard so she putting off the thermometer and hydrometer

Tegulover411

I have a question I'm holding him and every once in a while I hear thing clicking soynd he's moving around and he just pooped. What does this mean he flicks his tongue a lot and is very responsive to movement and I don't hear any wheezing.

Tegulover411

Would a beegerbox cage work for him it's 6 X 30 X 28 and it come with

This stunning lizard cage or tegu cage is made entirely of 1/2″ black pvc so it will hold up to any type of humidity. This lizard cage is a gorgeous modern look that will hold up year after year and still look great.

INCLUDES: 1/4″ Acrylic sliding doors

End vents

Extra cage top support beams

Light mount blocks

6″ substrate lip

I'm thinking bj about making this investment for him now so he won't be cramped in the future. And is there anyway that I can get him to eat vegetables and fruit because he refuses them

6' X 30" X 28" is WAY too small for an adult tegu, you need at least a 8' X 4' X 4'. Some tegus don't like their fruits or vegetables and that's perfectly fine. You need to get that tegu out of that 10 gallon tank IMMEDIATELY or he will slowly die. 10 gallon tanks have NO THERMAL GRADIENT, which means they won't be able to get away from the heat and they will basically cook to death even if the lights not directly on the whole cage. You need at the VERY LEAST a 20 gallon long (32" X 12" X 12") OR a 40 gallon breeder (36" X 18" X 18") which is what I'll be housing mine in temporarily before I build him an 8' X 4' X 4'. If you don't get him in at least a 20 gallon long tank soon, he WILL die, because he is slowly cooking to death. I don't care what people tell you, a baby tegu physically can't live in a 10 gallon tank. It honestly sounds like you really didn't do enough research before you got him. Just like what happens to iguanas; people buy them as a cute babies then in 2 years you have a massive, hungry, and powerful 5 foot lizard (iguanas get 6 foot +) running around the house, and you can no longer feed or take care of it. Hopefully, this will not be the case here.....I'm not trying to be a jerk, but it just aggravates me when people impulse buy animals, they aren't FULLY PREPARED to take care of them, and then it's the animal that suffers/dies. Just make sure you do your research......

Tegulover411

He's in a 20 gallon right now we are planning on building a 4x2x2 enclosure I'm sorry he's not even a foot long I had to remeasure him myself since the vet why a bit nervous he has a habit of running straight for people and sometimes chasing people I don't think he's doing it aggressively because once he gets to u he crawl on your head and lays there. He's 11 and a half inches he just went thru a awesome shed with almost no help needed. I have also tegu proof my room since then mainly because he loves to just walk around and chill. I got rid of my old dresser and got a tiny one instead I bought a heat/uvb bulb and installed it into my room for him not to mention my room stays at a constant temperature of 80 degrees do to the main heat vent being in my room. That post is very old and I have a happy and healthy tegu who is very calm and playful at times and loves his dubia roaches!!!!!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980