• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Got me stumped!!?!

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I am starting to think rayne is in fact a female, i havnt seen any definite buttons/spurs yet and he is almost 2', the weirdest part is on the left side of his cloaca there is one scale that is larger than all of the rest (appears to be a button forming)but on the opposite side they all look the same, i think ill wait til he gets a lil bigger but what do you think:
downsized_Z1.jpg

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Oh i am extremely happy with him, i just have been debating on whether or not to seperate him and storm, if he turns out to be a she they will definately be seperated before they sexually mature

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I'm in the same boat! The female I have has one small bump that could be a spur but absolutely nothing on the other side.. No hemipenis has been seen on her. Since they're not of breeding size you could keep them together for a while. I've still got my female housed with the smaller male. There haven't been any breeding behaviors or aggression. I'm not great at sexing but it looks more female, it doesn't seem very jowl-y at that angle.. s/he is gorgeous though! :p

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Now that is somthing i still have not mastered sexing tegus without physically handleing them. i couldn' tell Rio was a boy untill he hit the 2.5 foot mark.

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I havnt mastered it yet either lol, i can usually tell on older tegus but smaller ones are just a mystery

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I think he's a boy that will :D come into his own soon. With that said,.. I think we have a lot more males then females on this site.

Is that just by preference and what people are asking for or what. Or just how it turned out,.. which also makes me wonder what's the average in a clutch. Is it more male or female,..does depend on the temps like some animals or what.

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I've heard that if people aren't asking for specific sexes some breeders hold back what they think are females so they can continue to breed...

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
What rehetoricx says makes scense. I wanted a male blue as my first tegu, i had heard males calm down faster and easier than females and dont have the seasonal mood swings... which i dont really hear about anymore except in breeding females with eggs. My second tegu i really really wanted a female but my luck i got a male... right now all my pets are males it seems odd.

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Lol i the opposite i always ask for a male and get a female except for storm and pyro

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
What do you guys make of this Buttons or no These are the pics of the scales i have been questioning for some time now, since rayne is 3' and i still cant feel them, i never seen anything like this on my females, im wondering if perhaps being with storm is somehow suppresing his male characteristic development, he is getting jowly about the same as stormWhat do you guys make of this Buttons or no These are the pics of the scales i have been questioning for some time now, since rayne is 3' and i still cant feel them, i never seen anything like this on my females, im wondering if perhaps being with storm is somehow suppresing his male characteristic development, he is getting jowly about the same as storm

raynes vent pics(note the larger scales near the vent)

2005-01-02174454.jpg

2005-01-02174550.jpg

compare to storm
2005-01-02174754.jpg

2005-01-02174716.jpg

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I see one for sure and I'm pretty sure I see a second spur in the first picture. I'll save 'em to the comp and highlight were I think I see a spur at. I would say male even if it is one spur for the time being, the spurs are tied into their sex organs. Rango is 2 and its been more recent that his second spur has become more noticeable. Wil had helped point out the second spur and its definitely more prominent now.
If your tegu is a yearling it could just be developing slower, Rango is 2 and I finally got to see his hemipenis a month or so ago. You seem like you have healthy tegus. I'm guessing that mine developed more slowly because of their care prior to me getting them.

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Thanks alexi, i knew you would know considering the circumstances with your tegu lol, i just pm'd you lol, if you could high light them that'd be awesome because i post/surf using my crappy phone and its not letting me do it

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980