• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Got my Tegu back.. she's not in goog shape

COWHER

5 Year Member
As some of you know I spent some time in Costa Rica. I didn't want to deal with getting my Gu down there. (getting my dog down and back was pain enough.) Any way the person I had watch her told me she hibernated from September till just the other day.
I went today to pick her up and she was like holocaust thin!!. I asked why she was so thin and he told me 'she hasn't eaten since the beginning of September of course she is thin'. (I will take pics tomorrow) So I got her home and put her in the tub she drank like she has never seen water before. After she soaked for a wile I picked her up to put her back in her enclosure and she spewed thick clear mucus with a ton of dust in it ( dust from the substrate ) . I gave her one mouse to get some food in her belly but I know with people who are starved they cant eat to fast because their stomach could split.
Anyway I want to beat the dude that watched her over the head.. but i wont.. I am also worried because he didn't use any of the uv lights I gave him for her he used regular 60 watt bulbs. So naturally I am concerned she could have mbd. I haven't had much time to observe her because after eating she drank a little more and then went into her hide.

Needless to say she is very unhealthy and could have died!
How do I start with getting her up to healthy again?

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Matt, it is not normal for them to loose a bunch of weight during hibernation. He either did not hibernate, or the temps were way too warm.

You do have the right idea on taking it slow, start out with small meals and build her back up slow. You can still feed rodents, but just use smaller ones than normal. Ground turkey with higher fat content, Wal-Mart has three types of groung fresh turkey. One is less lean and would help her in building her fat reserves back up.

COWHER

5 Year Member
thanks Bobby. i know that guy didnt treat her well. the worst part is he works at a reptile pet store. he should know better!

John_E_Dove

5 Year Member
Man, that made this old man want to cry. Such things are why I do not go on vacations anymore.
If I may suggest, and perhaps Mr. Hill should confirm the suitability of this idea, Goose and Duck are both high in fat poultry. It might be an idea to see if you can get one or the other to grind up and get some meat on her bones again.

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
John_E_Dove said:
Man, that made this old man want to cry. Such things are why I do not go on vacations anymore.
If I may suggest, and perhaps Mr. Hill should confirm the suitability of this idea, Goose and Duck are both high in fat poultry. It might be an idea to see if you can get one or the other to grind up and get some meat on her bones again.

John, you are correct, ducklings are great, I feed them when I can find them for sale. I have never fed geese, but I would if I could get them as well.

COWHER

5 Year Member
well I do have a compound bow and a few arrows....... hmmmmmmm lmao!!! I actually have a friend who eats nothing but what he hunts and grows on his own I may be able to snag a bit of scrap game bird..

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pags1029