• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Growing Too Fast?

HelenaReptile

Hi! My red argentine tegu Jerry went from three inches long (snout to tail) to 16 inches in just three months! He's shedding ALL THE TIME. he so far hasn't gone a week without starting and finishing shedding. Am I feeding him too much? Is this normal? I'm prepared to house an adult tegu, yes, but I didn't expect my baby to grow up so fast!

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Hi! My red argentine tegu Jerry went from three inches long (snout to tail) to 16 inches in just three months! He's shedding ALL THE TIME. he so far hasn't gone a week without starting and finishing shedding. Am I feeding him too much? Is this normal? I'm prepared to house an adult tegu, yes, but I didn't expect my baby to grow up so fast!
Steady feeding of a healthy diet and Jerry should reach about 30-36" in a year. Goal is for him not to be obese. Like people. Grow tobhealthy weight.

HelenaReptile

i'm unsure how to tell if he's considered obese. Here's a picture of him while he was soaking last night. (I feel bad because shedding must be uncomfortable).

Attachments

• IMG_20170927_061513.jpg
    IMG_20170927_061513.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 49

Zyn

I don't think you can over feed babies my baby blue went from a small hatchling, to now about 28 inches in 2 months

dpjm

5 Year Member
You can overfeed them when they are young. They may not necessarily become obese at this life stage but there are other factors to consider. Too rapid of growth can cause weak bones, as bone mineralization cannot keep up with bone growth.

Canheaton

This post has me wondering if I'm growing mine to fast?...he doesn't seem over weight but I have cut back on how much I feed per day for the last few weeks.

Check these pics out!...
Jul. 8th. Till Sep 26th

2 1/2 Month's growth.

Attachments

• bcc8805b-2f5c-43c7-ae6b-cab4b3e89a9b.png
    bcc8805b-2f5c-43c7-ae6b-cab4b3e89a9b.png
    2 MB · Views: 29
  • 0926171124.jpg
    0926171124.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 29

Canheaton

This post has me wondering if I'm growing mine to fast?...he doesn't seem over weight but I have cut back on how much I feed per day for the last few weeks.

Check these pics out!...
Jul. 8th. Till Sep 26th

2 1/2 Month's growth.

Attachments

• 0919171856.jpg
    0919171856.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 13

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member

Check these pics out!...
Jul. 8th. Till Sep 26th

2 1/2 Month's growth.
They're adapted to grow quickly so as to outgrow predators and begin breeding.

My approach is to let them have their fill when fed. If bigger/older than a hatchling, give them 1-2 days off of food each week so that for some time their they aren't processing food.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Awesome ! I will do that. I'm about to post a new thread about a cage I'm building. Give it a look. I need help.
Glad to! Most keepers here use indoor enclosures, and their set-ups are really good to amazing.

In advance, consider an enclosure that has the tegu at eye level or a little below.

Canheaton

Glad to! Most keepers here use indoor enclosures, and their set-ups are really good to amazing.

In advance, consider an enclosure that has the tegu at eye level or a little below.

Awesome. Yup mine ,,,once the wheels are on it will be shin to chest. I posted a new thread with a pic of two. Thank you

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980