• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Hard tail tip

Dstrait

5 Year Member
The last 3/4" of Blizzard's tail is suddenly hard. Like a stick. Not shrunken or discolored. She is a 3 year old B & W, 44.5" long. Really nice personality. Last 8" of tail is taking forever from looking like it needs to shed to loosing a few scales on bottom to now. Tail taking forever to shed is typical for her. Soaking..waiting.

Once her skin separates it comes off clean. She has all her toes and only lost 1/4" of her tail in a cage door accident when we first got her. She spends most of her time outside.

She has heated cages inside and out. The outside cage has free access to the backyard.

dpjm

5 Year Member
My guess would be that the tail has retained skin that needs to come off. Try a warm soak followed directly by coconut oil application, then see if you can manually pull of any skin. The skin on the tail is quite thick and an extra layer can add hardness.

Dstrait

5 Year Member
Yeah. That's what I am hoping. Can't peal anything until her body breaks the bond between old skin and new. The last 8' of her tail that looks like it should shed is still tightly attached. Like if try to lift scales with your finger nail you can tell it's still tightly attached.

dpjm

5 Year Member
She may not do it on her own, the tail is a problematic area for shedding. The longer you leave it the harder it will be to remove. I would do soaks.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980