• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Hatchlings this time of the year?

E_M

So, I've booked a juvie, CB 2013 from Germany. Is it unusual for hatchlings this time of year? I know most are born during the summer, but how often are tegus born in January-February? :huh:

E_M

Bubblz Calhoun said:
It's possible, Chrisswizz just had a clutch of blues back in mid Dec.

I take it that the adults didn't hibernate and that is what makes it possible? :)

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
His were imported and likely on a reverse scheduled. Also, I believe his female double-clutched last year. So her second clutch was born later in the year. Most hatchlings available this year are either imported or from adults that were imported.

chriswizz

5 Year Member
yea with the blues it seams that they can breed pretty much any time of the year, ive had clutches in august, november, march nearly, & june with the clutch just layed, i suppose its down to them not hibinateing.
if you got a b&w hatchling comming from germany this time of year it will be an import from brazil, as mine was last year at this time, thats not a problem, but they do tend to sleep until around june. & stay up through the winter as there in reverse mode comming from the suthern hemiphere.

E_M

chriswizz said:
yea with the blues it seams that they can breed pretty much any time of the year, ive had clutches in august, november, march nearly, & june with the clutch just layed, i suppose its down to them not hibinateing.
if you got a b&w hatchling comming from germany this time of year it will be an import from brazil, as mine was last year at this time, thats not a problem, but they do tend to sleep until around june. & stay up through the winter as there in reverse mode comming from the suthern hemiphere.

You sound pretty sure that it's an import from Brazil just because it's from Germany. What makes you think that? =) If they're in reverse mode, will the always stay that way or will they adapt?

Roadkill

5 Year Member
They will change their seasonal rhythms to that of their new location, otherwise none of the tegus in North America would be on the North American circannual pattern.

But yes, just because they are available at an "off" time does not indicate that they are from Brasil (or even South America in general, for that matter).

E_M

Roadkill said:
They will change their seasonal rhythms to that of their new location, otherwise none of the tegus in North America would be on the North American circannual pattern.

But yes, just because they are available at an "off" time does not indicate that they are from Brasil (or even South America in general, for that matter).

Thanks for the info. I live in Sweden (hence the bad English :D) so I have no idea how it works with different seasons but it's great that they adapt like that.

From what I understood these hatchlings were supposed to be bred in Germany so I'll just have to presume that that's the case. Hopefully I'll get a little mor info om them when it's time to bring him/her home.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980