• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Having trouble with humidity

kjphoto04

5 Year Member
I have my girl in a 40 gallon with a screen top. I have suran wraped halh of the top ot try to keep the humidity in but it is not working! The average humidity is about 50% and at night I take the lights off and cover the top and the humidity will go up a little. Everyother day I am wetting the cypress completley and misting a couple times a day. She is having a hard time shedding on her tail. What can I do to change things? :bang

ashesc212

5 Year Member
Give her a bath and maybe use a bit of Shed Ease to help with the tail. A fogger or a mister might be able to help raise the humidity. You could also put a UTH under a water source in the tank so that it causes the water to evaporate.

LouDog760

5 Year Member
Add tin foil to the rest of the top but cut out the shape of the light fixture so the light goes threw. That should help so less humidity leaves the cage.

kjphoto04

5 Year Member
I have the UTH under the water bowl right now. I am looking to get a mister, any suggestions?
and tomorrow when she is awake I will do the tin foil idea, I dont want to disturb her while she is sleeping!
Thanks for the suggestions!
Keep them coming

jor71

5 Year Member
I use to place some moist towels, as well as tin foil on top of the cage when I had mine in a 20 long.

Be careful not to soak the mulch too much, as it can mold. I also suggest you stir the mulch daily, as the top of it dries off and the bottom is still damp.

What are you using to monitor the humidity?

omgtaylorg

5 Year Member
Well for one, cypress of course is good, but I use a mixture of cypress mulch and eco earth aka coconut dirt, just mix them together and wet the top good, then mix the top to the bottom and wet the top again and mix again, that way all the substrate is wet top to bottom, i also use the tinfoil on top of the entire cage except where the light is. I used to use just cypress and the other things i said and humidity stayed around 60-65%, once i added the eco earth or coconut dirt, i can get the humidity UP TO 90%, but i usually keep it around 75% and it stays the same throughout the whole day. Another thing with the shed, i had the same problem a while back, i build a humidity hide with a box and i put foil on the top of the box and a few plant things inside of it and spray it down in the mornings, he basks then he lays in the box, stays real real humid in there and really helps with keeping the skin moist. Just my 2cents :D

kjphoto04

5 Year Member
I have a digital temp/humidity gaude I got at home depot. I am just using that for the humidity, for the temp I am using a infer red temp gun.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pags1029