• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

He thought my beard was a rat...

Brian A

Short version: He carved up my chin pretty good and didn't want to let go. Only other time he's ever bitten me is when he thought my hand was food and his teeth barely connected before he realized his error and let go.

Long version: Amaru is a tad overweight and my vet suggested modifying his diet. Previously, he would get one juvenile size rat every other day and something else (fish, eggs, etc) on his off day. She suggested I cut it back to the rat every third day and something light on the off day and to often skip feeding on an off day. He had his juvenile size rat yesterday and I actually gave him a baby rat this morning since one died (we breed rats). I had him on the floor with me and he was walking around very active tongue flicking everywhere. He walks up to me and starts licking my face like mad and I realized something was about to go very badly. I immediately rose up and he just jumped and bit onto my bearded chin and would not let go for several seconds. In retrospect, I think I should have allowed him to continue licking at me so he could determine that my beard was not food. Instead he saw his possible meal rapidly departing and he went for it.

Anyway, I've noticed that he does get extremely active and aggressive on his off days. I rarely even hold him to my vet's recommended diet because of this. I'd prefer not to get bitten again, especially because he is the most tame and chill lizard when he's not in hunt-mode. What do you guys recommend for diet that will keep him from becoming this aggressive, but at the same time not cause him to become even more overweight?

He's in a 6x3x3 that will eventually be upgraded to an 8x4x4 and he gets an hour or two out every day. Basking spot is in the 120's just under the light, 75 on the cool end. I mist his cage multiple times a day. UVB supplied by overhead mercury vapor bulb replaced every few months. Substrate is mixed peat moss, eco earth, and mulch. He is between 1 and 1.5 years, but big for his size since he never hibernated and has a veracious appetite. If you need any other info, let me know.

dpjm

5 Year Member
Aggression / hunt-mode: This is not a bad thing. If he is never in this mode then he is overfed. Think about wild tegus. They do not always have an abundance of food to eat (unless you are a Florida invasive, then there are plenty of birds' nests to ravage). Wild tegus are nice and lean and probably are most often in aggressive hunt mode. High accessibility to food is not a tegu thing, it is a human thing. And look at us... Problem is we are so accustomed to that concept that we apply it to our animal husbandry and the same thing happens to them.

Some keepers like to keep their animals docile (and even assume that the animals should be docile, that this is the "correct" behavior) and usually the docile behavior, apart from relieving other sources of stress, is brought about by keeping an animal full all the time. However, being 100% satiated all the time is unnatural for a tegu. They should be hungry sometimes, quite a lot, actually. It encourages natural activity, increases exercise, and is probably responsible for beneficial physiological events.

My advice: Listen to your vet and reduce feed. See food-related aggression as a natural event that should occur regularly. Keep your tegu lean, not overweight, and it will live longer. Caloric restriction has been shown to increase lifespans of mice, rats, fish, and some inverts. I'm sure it would apply to tegus as well.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980