• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Hello All !!!...

VaranusDragon74

Hi, I'm Randy, New Here, and I just picked up a female chacoan giant white-head tegu hatchling.. Going to get a second sexing, before naming it.. How long would a 4x2x2 enclosure last a female chacoan hatchling (11 days old) ??
20130628_192022.jpg
20130628_192316-1.jpg

Logie_Bear

Shes so green! Really adorable gal youve got there. Who bred her? Growth rates are gonna be different for every hatchling so cant give you a set length of time for an enclosure... but these babies do grow FAST!

VaranusDragon74

Yes, she is from Underground (hatched out on July 1st), and I don't expect the enclosure to last for life.. I'm just hoping that she can get a year out of it, comfortably.. Planning a 8' x 5' x 4' adult enclosure w/ option to roam whenever I'm awake..

VaranusDragon74

By the way, going with "Storm" for a girl, or "Gambit" for a male.. Hoping it's Storm, but already loving it, either way..
Thinking about getting a Arg. Red later, for future breeding, or maybe a Blue....
(Would love to start a line of GIANT Reds (like Tremper, Kahl, Boawoman, etc..)

chitodadon

1,000+ Post Club
A 40 gal breeder would be better until u get the permanent done but I give u by six months, my guy outgrew his 40 gal by 5 months

from Samsung Galaxy S3

jtrux

5 Year Member
I would strongly suggest going to Petco tomorrow or before the 27th and buying a 40 breeder. They are having a sale right now for a dollar per gallon so a 40 gallon tank is $40. It will serve you well in the future in the event that you ever expand your collection or need a quarantine tank or anything. Regular price is roughly $115.

Dana C

Hi, I'm Randy, New Here, and I just picked up a female chacoan giant white-head tegu hatchling.. Going to get a second sexing, before naming it.. How long would a 4x2x2 enclosure last a female chacoan hatchling (11 days old) ??
View attachment 6651 View attachment 6652

It will be fine for a year or a little more. Contrary to some owners opinions, Tegu's don't use a lot of their enclosure to roam. They will change the area that they frequent based upon temperatures and moisture in the substrate. I had a 4x4x2 set up that my boy was fine in until he passed 30".

VaranusDragon74

Not sure if the PETCOs around me are doing the dollar/gal. deal, but I'll check it out.. May just get a exo-terra xl-low, which is essentially a 40gal, just with side opening door, rather than coming in overhead, like seal team 6 in blackhawks.. less stress, less startled bites..

Tyler137

Not sure if the PETCOs around me are doing the dollar/gal. deal, but I'll check it out.. May just get a exo-terra xl-low, which is essentially a 40gal, just with side opening door, rather than coming in overhead, like seal team 6 in blackhawks.. less stress, less startled bites..
Check on Craigslist as well in my area there are quite a few people selling exo Terra's cheap, would assume there are a lot more in Florida.

VaranusDragon74

Not ruling anything out, as of yet, but I do like the front access of exo-terra's and zoo med's.. have found some decent stuff on Craigslist, but not a lot there.. may just have something built, since I'll be needing two large enclosures anyway (tegu & savannah), luckily I got a friend who does some woodworking.

VaranusDragon74

Update :
Second sexing proved, she is a female.. So, now she's officially "Storm"..
Housed her in a 20 gal long, for now..
20130726_161507.jpg

I had it already, and it gives me a month to 5 weeks, to get her mansion ready...

Will be adding a plant, to cool side, for added cover.
But, she's usually out in the open, either basking, or hunting crickets. .
1374883748908.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980