• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Hello all

Morrie

5 Year Member
I just purchased my first tegu today and I'm thrilled about it. It's a blue tegu that i bought from Dave at the White Plains show. I'm still trying to pick a name for it, even though they were calling him "Bear". I've been wanting a tegu for years now and finally got my wish. I'm glad this site is here and I look forward to learning more about my new addition to the family and sharing with everyone. I'll try to get some pics up soon.

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Hi Morrie, and welcome to the TeguTalk community, glad to have you join us!! :)

ashesc212

5 Year Member
Welcome. I have one of Dave's blues too! They are so healthy and amazing.

"Bear" - is this the one with a the face of a bear on his neck?

Good luck, and please post pics! :-D

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I think "Bear" is the one with the teddy bear face on his neck. My wife handled the sales, I held the adult male Blue and talked to lots of people.

Morrie

5 Year Member
Yeah, that's the same "Bear". That's funny that you knew the exact one I was talking about. I'm going to try and get some pics up later in the week. I don't want to stress the little one out too much at once.

ashesc212

5 Year Member
Morrie said:
Yeah, that's the same "Bear". That's funny that you knew the exact one I was talking about. I'm going to try and get some pics up later in the week. I don't want to stress the little one out too much at once.

He's internationally known lol :mrgreen:

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Morrie said:
I posted pics of that one a couple of months ago, somewhere in this thread I think.

They're used to being handled everyday for a few minutes when I clean the tanks. I put them one at a time right in my face (need new glasses, my up close vision is poor) and talk to them. And they look back probably thinking I'm some kind of nut job since they don't have a clue what I'm saying. :mrgreen:

Morrie

5 Year Member
Here's our first photo shoot. Enjoy!!! :)

IMG_0178.jpg

IMG_0164.jpg

PuffDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Hi and welcome! Good luck with your little one. Was he/she sleeping before the pics were taking?

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Morrie, your tegu looks really nice, but I am looking at him and he looks to be a bit stressed. It would be best not to handle him too much right after getting him, he needs a little while to adjust to his new home. If you just give hime about three to five days in his cage he will be fine, and look alert when handled.

Please understand, I am not getting on to you, but that this is different for your tegu and he is stressed from being moved to a new home.

Morrie

5 Year Member
Thanks for the compliments and I appreciate the advice. :-D I woke him up to clean the cage. I figured since I had him out I'd take some pics. I read that you shouldn't take a tegu out of it's hide box. How do I go about cleaning the cage and taking him out to eat when he is always hiding?

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Leave him alone for a few days. He'll come out when he wants to. He's been living with 4 of his closest friends his whole life and now he's alone. that's got to be a shock. If he hasn't eaten yet there shouldn't be much to clean.

What substrate do you have him on? I've had them on newspaper because they make such a mess I have to completely clean the cage every day. And I can throw crickets in there in the morning.

If he's on paper put some raw ground turkey on a small plate and leave it in his enclosure for a few hours. He'll come out!! They love turkey!! I hand mix in a little cod liver oil (1 tablespoon per pound) and calcium. If he's on mulch I don't trust feeding them on it.

Morrie

5 Year Member
Thanks for the advice Dave! :-D I left him alone for the past few days and he's been coming out of the hide box more. I've been using newspaper as substrate so no worries about mulch. I've never had a problem with him eating. He's been all about food since day one. Any advice about tail whipping though because that's where we're at now? That and running back in the hide box when I walk past. It just breaks my heart. :(

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Morrie said:
Thanks for the advice Dave! :-D I left him alone for the past few days and he's been coming out of the hide box more. I've been using newspaper as substrate so no worries about mulch. I've never had a problem with him eating. He's been all about food since day one. Any advice about tail whipping though because that's where we're at now? That and running back in the hide box when I walk past. It just breaks my heart. :(
He's still getting used to his new surroundings. You still have to earn his trust. Move slowlt when you go by and stare at him. He needs to know you're not a threat. Once he's comfortable with you being around, he'll be more receptive to handling. Don't push it, I know it's hard.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980