• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Hello everybody!

D-bug

5 Year Member
Hi my name is Dana. I just got my first b/w tegu a week ago from Reptile Solutions. It's a hatchling so I am not sure if it's a he or she yet. I have named he/she Mangione. I also have a crested gecko named Geico, a Min-Pin, 3 cats, a freshwater and saltwater aquarium, a corn snake, a tiger retic, 2 ball pythons, a burmese python, a jungle carpet, and rats! I have been working with my tegu daily, and he/she now lets me pet it and I am starting to be able to pick it up. Today it had it's first shed, everything came off beautifully!! :-D I have found so much usefull info here and am very glad to have found this site!!!

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Hi Dana, and welcome to the TeguTalk community, glad you could join us. :)

Dana, did Reptile Solutions tell you that the hatchling you got was an import? There are no captive born babies yet in the US, I would watch him close, if he starts not eating he is going to need to see a vet for worming.

angelrose

5 Year Member
Hi Dana and welcome to the tegutalk, I agree there is so much useful information here.

that is quite a selection pets you have there and would love to see come pics

D-bug

5 Year Member
Thanks all for the warm welcome!!!

Varnyard, they did tell me he was imported, but Mangione is eating. It took him a couple of days to get used to his new home but now he goes to his food shortly after putting it in his home. So far I know he likes eggs, grapes, snails, and various veggies. I am going to start introducing other foods into his diet as well.

DZLife

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
D-bug said:
Thanks all for the warm welcome!!!

Varnyard, they did tell me he was imported, but Mangione is eating. It took him a couple of days to get used to his new home but now he goes to his food shortly after putting it in his home. So far I know he likes eggs, grapes, snails, and various veggies. I am going to start introducing other foods into his diet as well.

That's good to hear!

Even though he/she seems to be healthy...ESPECIALLY since you have other reptiles in the vicinity, you really need to get her checked, dewormed, etc. It is a big deal, and if you don't may result in problems not only with her, but serious health hazards with your other reptiles.

Good luck with your 'lil sweetie!

Oh, and that's a really impressive repertoire of reptiles....or should I say..."reptitoire." meh, I know, groaner :p

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
D-bug, I was just letting you know, this time of year I have a bunch of people contacting me about these imports, most of them say the same thing. I just got a tegu hatchling, he is not eating, or quit eating. All of these on the market now are farm raised imports and most of them are full of worms. These tegu farmers do not clean the bins from year to year and the parasites are just waiting for the new clutches to be in there. They do not worm the babies and are in it for the money, they sell them and export them into the US and many die from the parasites shortly after import or after being sold.

People think they are getting a great deal at 79.00 on them, however it is not that good of a price after they add the vet bills.

D-bug

5 Year Member
Thank you Varnyard, thats good to know! I will definetly go get him checked out. I don't want him to die or any of my other reptiles to get worms either. I am new to the tegu thing so i appreciate all the input. :-D

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980